How to defrag FAT32 thumb drive in 10.5.2?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seasurfer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I feel that my fat32 format 4Gb thumb drive is getting slower. I just wonder if there is anything that I can do to make it faster. Defrag it? Thanks.

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

If it's defragged as you think it is, copy the whole thumb drive to your computer. Back it up once in a method of your choosing. Delete all files on the thumb drive. Then copy all the files back to your thumb drive. They are now defragged.

Also, do you need FAT32 compatibility with PCs? If not, format the thumb drive in HFS+. It will be faster than FAT32.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

It is flash based storage and there are no read/write heads so there is no need to defrag.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The medium of storage (flash based, disk based, etc.) has nothing to do with storage techniques. Any well used drive over time will acquire small spaces in between used storage space (files) that cannot be easily used. Read the wikipedia entry.

5. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. martychang macrumors regular

I've personally been avoiding defragging because of flash's write-cycle limitations.

7. Tonerl Guest

I'd personally copy all the files from the thumb drive to a directory/folder on a hard drive, format the thumb drive, and copy back.

Formatting should create a fresh file system, which, by definition, is not fragmented.