How to delay the delete of a message in Apple Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by general12345, Feb 6, 2010.

1. general12345 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to set a delay for mail to automatically delete specific messages (from specific users, for instance) after a preset amount of time? Maybe something like an applescript that can be run as a rule in mail?

Thanks!

2. dsfromqld macrumors newbie

Good question - I want to do the same with all the advertising emails I get. The closest I came this morning was to create a Smart Mailbox with those specific addresses as senders. If you order the messages by date, you can periodically select all but the most recent and delete them.
    I tried creating rules about messages over a certain age but you don't seem to be able to specify this rule to apply to one mailbox but not another.

Anyone else have a solution? I haven't learnt how to use AppleScripts, so the answer may lie there.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can do this with the built-in Rules, can't you?

You'd just need;
    If senders' address contains [ ]
    If date received is more than [ ]

Perform the following actions:
    Move message to mailbox [Trash]

4. dsfromqld macrumors newbie

You're right, miles01110, and thank you, but wouldn't you need to create this Rule multiple times for multiple different senders? Is that unwieldy? Unfortunately the Rules don't seem to allow different Boolean operators within the same Rule - I'd like to set a Rule for:

Senders address contains [x] OR
    Senders address contains [y] OR
    Senders address contains [z] AND
    Date received is more than [ ]

to deal with them all at once. Then any new sender you would like to treat this way can easily be added to the list of senders. You could delete advertising emails after 2 weeks or a month, archive financial info emails into different folders etc.