how to delete a time machine account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve knight, Feb 11, 2011.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I made a new account on my mac and want to delete the old time machine backup. whats the practical way to do it?

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

If I understand the question correctly, you want to erase TM and start fresh. If so:
    Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.
    Select the TM drive, choose the erase tab in Disk Utility, and choose which erase format you want. Then use the HD as a new TM.
    Hope this helps. I did mine this way and there were no problems.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I have done that before but I only want to erase one of the backups not the whole thing. I once deleted the files but it did not free up the space.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Did you empty the trash?

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

not sure if I did not not. I think i did. but would that work on a time capsule? I will try it and see.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

One thing you don't want to try is deleting a backup via Finder, you end up with lots of permissions errors (not being able to empty the trash).

The best way to do it is to enter Time Machine > Go to the backup you want > There should be a gear icon or something in the Finder Toolbar, Click on it > Select Delete Backup.

7. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I tired entering time machine and deleting the whole backup but just got an error. but I had right clicked and choose delete.
    so far deleting from finder is working. well I left and when I got back I had the dialog box. been emptying the trash for about 4 hours now there were a bit over 3,000,000 files. hope it's done by the time we get up.

8. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

doing it from finder did not work. got the trash emptied but it did not free the space.