How to delete ALL data and restore to factory settings?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by entatlrg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've tried the cmd R and erased but after the reinstall the files are still there.

I've searched here and on the Apple forums and can't find a solution.

The first problem I have and the reason i want to reinstall Lion is I have only about 70gb of data on a 256 ssd, but it shows it has 230gb of data used.

It shows something called 'other' is occupying 160gb of space, I have no idea what 'other' is, not a time machine back up or anything.

I tried reinstalling Lion but all data/apps werent deleted ... I want to delete ALL the files and reinstall Lion.

Thanks

2. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

If you're going to reinstall Lion, you can just format the drive when the installation process begins.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

4. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

How are you installing Lion? A USB stick? Or an upgrade from SL?

Other is just filetypes that Lion doesn't really understand. You may have a bunch or movies in .mkv format which would fall under "other."

Try using programs like DaisyDisk or DiskInventory X to see what is taking up all that space.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Once you get to the beginning install screen look under the Utilities menu for Disk Utility and use that to reformat.

Make sure you have a backup because this will wipe the OS and all your apps and data.