Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steph812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
My iPhone 5S was damaged by water. I tried the rice method as soon as possible (just minutes afterwards), and the phone worked briefly again after a day and a half in rice, but now the display is not working. I was able to recover all of my photos and a few other things I wanted. Now, I would like to sell the damaged phone on Ebay for parts or repair. I am trying to find out how I can delete all data, even though nothing shows on the screen (and therefore, I cannot do it through the phone's settings). iTunes DOES still recognize the device. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

steph812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thank you for your response, Intell. The instructions say "Go to iCloud Settings on your iPhone and turn off Find My iPhone before restoring your iPhone."
Unfortunately, I cannot see anything on the display of the phone to guide me to do this. Is there another way?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Turn the iPhone off and then sign into iCloud.com. Go to the Find My iPhone part of it and click on the broken iPhone. Wait about 30 seconds for it to find it. When it cannot locate it you'll have the option in a form of a button to remove that device from Find My iPhone. Click on the remove button and you'll be able to restore it without a problem. Alternatively, you can restore it via DFU mode. But then it will still be activation locked and that could impact selling the device.

steph812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thank you! I am logged in there, and there is the option to erase the iPhone. Should I just do that, or is there a reason to remove the phone from Find my iPhone and then try to restore through iTunes?

----------

Is that what you meant by DFU?

steph812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Ok, I removed the damaged iPhone from "Find my iPhone" on iCloud.com, but I still get the message telling me that I have to turn Find My iPhone off before restoring it. Does anyone know why this would come up when I removed the device from Find my iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.