How to delete all files in time machine...Please help :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Amy2005, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I did a search for this before making my post, and I couldn't find anything that would work.

I'm in the middle of doing my final year uni project (a documentary using final cut pro) and I'm fast running out of hard drive space and thought I'd use the external HD I've been using for my Time Machine backups, but when I simply dragged the folder to the trash it wouldn't let me delete it, after hours of waiting. So I sent it all back to the HD from the trash. I tried the disk utility thing and it still wouldn't let me. I wasn't sure if I should select the actual hard drive, or the time machine logo, then which type of delete to choose...see pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there way I can just delete everything from the hard drive? There's only Time Machine backups on there. Can I just delete all backups of 'Macintosh HD' through Time Machine, or will that still leave loads of files on there?

Thank you
    Amy :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

It's worked :) Thank you very much. I can now move my project to the external HD now and continue...after the 7 hours it's going to take to transfer!

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Of course, if you're moving your project from your computer to that external drive, you'll be getting another external drive so that you can backup that project, as you wouldn't want to lose it if your first external fails. :(