Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

How do I delete all mail data on iOS 9? When I delete my mail accounts and restart the ipad it still shows multiple gigabytes of space being used by mail in settings.

Thanks.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I'm surprised such a simple procedure seems to be not possible without wiping the entire iPad!

All I want to do is delete all mail data and start fresh!
Deleting my mail account and hard restarting iPad does not delete numerous gigabytes of mail data.

Any help would be appreciated

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Most of the data is stored as cache on the device. You can try using a cache clearing app to reduce the amount of space mail takes up. This comes with a free 3 scan trial.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-disk-scanner-pro-check-system-information/id921515621?mt=8

Thanks. I am looking at the app but it appears to only search not remove data?

The problem is that I'm having some weird issues with my email account and it randomly redownloaded all my emais and managed to double the amount of data stored on iPad.

By removing all data and rebuilding my mail I can correct the mail issues as well as regain the wasted space.
I even tried plugging iPad into Mac and using Iexplorer app but unless the iPad is jail broken I can't access OS related data.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks. I am looking at the app but it appears to only search not remove data?

The problem is that I'm having some weird issues with my email account and it randomly redownloaded all my emais and managed to double the amount of data stored on iPad.

By removing all data and rebuilding my mail I can correct the mail issues as well as regain the wasted space.
I even tried plugging iPad into Mac and using Iexplorer app but unless the iPad is jail broken I can't access OS related data.

It will remove the data, just make sure you do the Disk scan. Or you can use this app. This one works just as well:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr-cleaner-phone-clean-clean-similar-photos/id1156773866?mt=8

But that is very odd that your email account is automatically redownloading emails. I have not experienced that, so I'm not sure how to help with that issue. Sorry!

Reactions: bmac89

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
It will remove the data, just make sure you do the Disk scan. Or you can use this app. This one works just as well:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr-cleaner-phone-clean-clean-similar-photos/id1156773866?mt=8

But that is very odd that your email account is automatically redownloading emails. I have not experienced that, so I'm not sure how to help with that issue. Sorry!

Thanks for the reply and app suggestions. I will try it out now.

I believe the issue with email redownloading is related to some emails being moved on the server which triggered some issues with emails syncing. Now that issue is fixed I think deleting the cache and rebuilding the mailbox on iPad will do the trick.
[doublepost=1488257428][/doublepost]It seems to have worked. I deleted mail accounts, ran the Dr Cleaner app and mail data dropped down to 1.5gb.

Not sure why still that much with no mail accounts but I'm not fussed. Maybe it is counting attachments and they are stored somewhere else? Regardless it appears to have deleted all the extra data that was redownloaded so that is great!

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.