How to delete an app "Completely"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boba7523, Dec 9, 2011.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have Mac OSX Lion on my 2010 MBP. I installed Adobe Photoshop but it was eating up my hard drive space so i decided to remove it via the App Cleaner app. Now, i got a new SSD and want to re-install Photoshop. It seems like the app doesn't install completely onto my MBP. There is no error given and it even says the install was a success, but the install was upposed to be ~700 MB but it only said it needed 140 MB to install. And when i run PS, it says that the app is either damaged or something...

Could it be that there are still PS files from before that didn't get removed? If so, how do i find and remove them completely? Again, all i did to remove PS before was drag it into the App Cleaner app.

Thanks guys!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should always use an "OEM" uninstaller application like the one provided by Adobe if available.

3. mape2k macrumors regular

I always use the deinstaller that comes with the App. If there is none, I use AppCleaner.
    If there are still files left, you could look them up under ~/Library/Application Support/. Usually, there is a folder for the App there that stores App data. (This should be done by AppCleaner automatically).

So for your problem I would suggest you look into the Application Support folder and see if there are any files left before re-installing PS.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I always use a programme such as AppCleaner, suggested above, or AppZapper.
    You just drag the app onto it and then it finds all the relating files, then you can send them to the trash.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I just move it to trash.

Don't really care for the preference files that are left behind, they're like 1kb files. Lol.

If I'm feeling really anal then I do a search on the App's name and try to hunt down each file, but it seems like the AppZapper program does that (I'll have to check it out)

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

OEM remover first, and I know Adobe includes one for Mac.
    If none are provided use AppCleaner.

7. mape2k macrumors regular

Application Support in Library/Application Support/ for Adobe (Ps, Lr and Ai installed) is 750MB on my disk.

8. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Those are your plug-ins most likely.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper, AppCleaner, etc. doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. Some of the files left behind are very large. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

10. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I use AppCleaner and it seems to do the job just fine.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my post and the links. It's leaving files and folders behind.