Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hi guys, think this may be in the wrong section. Sorry if it is.

I have a couple of questions,

I installed Bootcamp on my mac, I installed it, it used 32gb of the HD and I was stupid and thought deleting the icon in finder would sort it, but it didn't and now I dont know how to get it off my system so i can have my 32gb back!

Also, the HD for my mac is 160gb, I know they install printer drivers and such so it sucks it down before you even use it, but is there anything that I really dont need?

Cheers,

James

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Run the Boot Camp Assistant again, it will give the option to merge the partition.

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I know this sounds a little dumb, but could someone walk me through step by step please?

James

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I went:
Finder > Applications > Disk Utility > BOOTCAMP > Mount > Erase.

Does anyone know if that will be it then or will I need to do something else to get my 32gb back?

James

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I went:
Finder > Applications > Disk Utility > BOOTCAMP > Mount > Erase.

Does anyone know if that will be it then or will I need to do something else to get my 32gb back?

James

Go to Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant ...

Follow the directions from there.

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Go to Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant ...

Follow the directions from there.

Hi,

cheers for that.

Although, I have deleted the bootcamp bit from the utilities but thinking it would delete it.

Silly me.:eek::eek::eek:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hi,

cheers for that.

Although, I have deleted the bootcamp bit from the utilities but thinking it would delete it.

Silly me.:eek::eek::eek:

You really need to stop randomly deleting things ... you will get into trouble that is not easily repairable.

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
You really need to stop randomly deleting things ... you will get into trouble that is not easily repairable.

I know I should.

I wont do it again, promise.:):D

Hmm. But is there any way to get that memory back?

cheers for your help.

James

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The hard drive space restores when you remove the partition. Did it not?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Post a screenshot of Disk Utility ... Command-Shift-4 then space and select the window.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
1) open Disk Utility
2) click on hard drive on the sidebar. the actual drive, not the partitions that say "Macintosh HD" or "BOOTCAMP" or whatever you named them. for example mine says "298.1 GB Hitachi....."
3) select Partition tab
4a) in the "Volume Scheme" box, select "1 Partition"
-OR-
4b) click on your boot camp partition, then click the "-" button to delete it. then click on the bottom right corner of the Macintosh HD partition and drag it down to fill the entire space
5) click Apply

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
1) open Disk Utility
2) click on hard drive on the sidebar. the actual drive, not the partitions that say "Macintosh HD" or "BOOTCAMP" or whatever you named them. for example mine says "298.1 GB Hitachi....."
3) select Partition tab
4a) in the "Volume Scheme" box, select "1 Partition"
-OR-
4b) click on your boot camp partition, then click the "-" button to delete it. then click on the bottom right corner of the Macintosh HD partition and drag it down to fill the entire space
5) click Apply

Are both those methods non-destructive to the main partition?

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I still cant find these things that you are giving me guys.

Thanks,

James

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Are both those methods non-destructive to the main partition?
it should be. but OS X isnt going to let you erase the partition that its running on, so if for some reason it cant do it non-destructively then it will just error out and not do anything.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
It's honestly not that hard if you don't go into Disk Utility and begin erasing things.

You should've use Boot Camp Assistant. It's sort of the right way to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.