Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
What different ways i can delete few big files from read only HDD which is 10.6.8 MacBook internal boot drive? It is read only because it has "keys out of order" and rebuilding catalog b-tree is required.

I can connect it to another Mac via target disk mode or boot to single user mode but both shows it as read only and if i check disk in single user mode then it fails and it keeps it as read only.

Thanks

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Not possible.

Fix the "keys out of order" problem first. Then it will mount read/write and you can delete things.

There are other approaches to recovering the data, but the problem as stated is not possible to solve.

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Not possible.

Fix the "keys out of order" problem first. Then it will mount read/write and you can delete things.

There are other approaches to recovering the data, but the problem as stated is not possible to solve.

Thanks. I can't fix it in single user mode because there is not enough free space in that hdd. Is DiskWarrior only option?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks. I can't fix it in single user mode because there is not enough free space in that hdd. Is DiskWarrior only option?

First, if you haven't backed up all the important data on the disk, you need to address that. Without a backup, you're working above a black abyss without any safety equipment. If something goes wrong, and it does happen, you lose everything.

With your data safely backed up, try DiskWarrior and see if it corrects the problem. If it works, then great, you won't need the backup. But better safe than sorry.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If I were in your position, the thing I'd do first is to get ANOTHER 2.5" drive (could be either platter-based or an SSD), and "build a new OS" on that drive and get it bootable.

Then, I'd swap the drives out (easy procedure for most Macbooks), and "work on" the problem drive once it is OUT OF the MacBook and "in hand".

Best "tool" for this is a USB3/SATA "docking station". They cost only about $25 or so, and make "prepping" a bare drive an easy-peasy job.

Once you have the old drive out, you can "get what you can" from it, use repair software on it, etc.

A re-initialization -may- clear this up, but again, you want to get things off of it beforehand...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.