How to Delete Hidden Partitions on MBP HDD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neowillendit, Nov 14, 2009.

1. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Wut up Mac Peeps, pretty advanced Mac user and I just can't figure out how to delete the hidden partitions that Windows 7 creates. I've installed Windows 7 twice on this HDD with Leopard v.10.5.8 on it and now I have 2 small partitions at 200MB each. This means 4 partitions (1 for Leopard, 1 for Windows 7, and 2 hidden partitions). They don't show up in Disk Utility and I tried removing the entire BootCamp partition, then re-installing Leopard just so that I could configure the HDD to "One Single Partition" with Disk Utility on the Leopard Disc while re-installing and THAT didn't work for the hidden partitions either...:(...couldn't believe it...

I'm hoping I don't have to use a Windows DOS Boot Disc to format or something...not sure if they work on MBPs but I would try...I could also use Seagate HDD Tools but I'm trying to keep this simple...**(hopes Apple thought of this)**

Please help friends...

2. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Come on guys, I know someone knows this...:confused:

EDIT: I should add that I know where the 200MB partitions came from and what they are used for...problem is that when I attempt to re-install Windows 7 RTM, it won't allow me to delete the older 200MB partitions.

Thank you friends...

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Do you mean the 200 MB EFI Partition that is created when the disk is formatted as a GUID partition table? You have more than one?

4. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Yes, right now I have two of them because I've installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro twice now...apparently the Windows Insaller doesn't delete the old partitions...

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

So if I understand you correctly, you have 4 partions:

1) Mac OS X partition
    2) Corresponding 200 MB EFI partition for Mac OS X
    3) Windows 7 partition
    4) Corresponding 200 MB EFI partition for Windows 7

right?

Sorry but I don't know if you can safely delete the small EFI partitions... the system does not use them for anything but they are a part of the GUID partition standard and I'm worried that by removing them you could cause unintended problems... But I am not an expert so maybe someone else could chime in?

6. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

I'll take your warning and not mess with them then, thank you "Rockstarjoe" :apple: