How to delete IMAP mails in Mail without deleting from the server.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mdv2, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Mdv2 macrumors regular

I just did a fresh install of Mavericks and previously always used POP, but since I've entered modern era, I know see the benefits of using IMAP to have my mails synchronized on both my iPhone 5S and my rMBP.

Hence, I just set up my gmail account on my rMPB with IMAP settings. In result, Mail pulled all emails from my Gmail account to my desktop inbox. I don't want 1000s of emails in my inbox and need to know if there's a way to delete them from my inbox without deleting them from my gmail account.

2. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Imap is server based, deleting them in an app revolves them from the server. Best to move them to an archive folder if you want them out of inbox.

3. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

So there's no option to start synchronizing from today with Mail pulling all older emails?

4. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

No, it synchronises the whole folder, you'll need to move them. Or there might be an option in your mail app to synchronise only the last few days.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you want the mail in your Inbox at Gmail and not on your Mac then what rctlr says is your answer.

You might be able to configure a Mail rule that will move them to a different folder after a specified time. That won't be much help if it's because of the hard drive space they consume that you don't want all the mail on the Mac. If that's the case I think using the web interface is your best solution.