How to delete iMessages JUST on one device

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by willed, May 3, 2016.

1. willed macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a software update on my 16GB iPad but of course there's no space free.

It turns out iMessage is hogging 1.6GB. 'Great,' I think, 'I'll turn off iMessage and save all that space.' Of course this doesn't work - all the messages are still there.

How do I delete the messages off the iPad WITHOUT deleting them anywhere else?

I've googled this but everyone else seems to want to know how to delete messages across ALL their devices. I very much want to keep all my messages, just get rid of them on one device.

And also, why the hell can't all but the most recent messages be kept in the cloud rather than taking up space on Apple's under-spec'd devices?!

Thanks in advance for any answers!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Deleting them on one device shouldn't delete them anywhere else. As far as storing them on iCloud, iMessges are encrypted and don't get stored anywhere outside the devices that send/receive them, that's part of the privacy/security design of the iMessage service.

3. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

My iMessages can be deleted on a specific device and don't get deleted on the others. I don't believe I did anything special... Have you tried messaging yourself and deleting it to see what happens?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

I just double tap each iMessage that I want deleted from my iPhone and then tap on the trash at the bottom. The messages remain on my other devices until I delete them from there. The process is not difficult at all. :rolleyes:

5. willed thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right, sorry! I thought the whole point of iMessage is that it sync'd across devices, sounds like that's not the case.

Thanks!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It does that when messages are delivered or sent, but not deleted, as that is basically on a per-device basis.