How to delete local contacts? Not possible with iTunes

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stooovie, Oct 15, 2013.

1. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Hi!

For some reason, I now have local contacts as well as iCloud contacts on my iPhone with 7.0.2. I could remove them before using iTunes on Mac, but the "Info" tab (with Accounts, Notes, Reminders etc. syncing) is no longer there.

Any tips?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just to be sure.

go to contact > click edit > scroll ALL the way down to the bottom. There is no delete contact there?

3. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is.

But I want to delete ALL local contacts and just keep the iCloud contacts. I'm not deleting 300+ contacts manually one by one :)

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You can try this:

1. Turn off "contacts" in your iCloud setup and choose "remove from my phone". This will delete all icloud contacts from your phone but they will remain in the cloud.

2. Check any e-mail accounts you may have that also have "contacts' turned on such as Gmail. If you turn these off and remove you will only have a list of manually entered contacts.

Delete the contacts.

3. turn iCloud back on and it will resync all your iCloud contacts. Turn Gmail back on to resync all your Gmail contacts.

5. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I'm UNABLE to do. Thanks, but this didn't work. FYI I just have iCloud/local iPhone contacts, I don't sync Gmail ones.

Edit: It DID work: turning iCloud contacts back on merged the local ones and iCloud ones, removing local contacts in the process. Problem solved, thanks :)

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Glad I could help :)

7. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Go to your contacts, in the top right tap "groups"

if all you want are iCloud contacts, then make sure that's the only one with a checkmark next to it.