How to delete "locked" trash ?????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by razu13612, Jan 21, 2011.

1. razu13612 macrumors newbie

One more DUMB question from "The Ole AARP-phart" (Remember me?)

While switching over from my old PC to the Mac "Corn-puter" I did not empty the "Trash Folder" on the Mac for quite some time (fearing that I would delete something that I needed), and have accumulated well over 1,000 items that I now wish to delete permanently. Some of these items are "locked" and others are not.

Is there an easy way to delete this entire folder (locked and not locked) without going through each individual folder and un-locking those folders that are presently preventing dumping the entire folder?

2. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Have you tried restarting the computer and then immediately emptying the trash bin before opening any applications?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

4. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Good tip. Thanks!

5. razu13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

W-O-W !!!!! That was quick !!!!!

The "alt/option" button did the trick !!!!! I have just cleared the "trash" in about 15 seconds, after spending hours (literally) doing the deleting by individually "unlocking" those pesky folders..........

Thank You so VERY MUCH, My typing finders Thank You also !!!!!

Ole AARP-phart, Marty

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

To lock or unlock loads of files at once, select the files then press 'alt + Command + i'. Tick or untick 'lock file'.

7. Miker2k macrumors regular

Man, I learn something new exeryday. I love this OS.

8. razu13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll tell you what I love.............. I love the RAPID response I get from forum members. I think that some of them just monitor this forum, ready to reply with solutions. I have asked several questions over the past months (since getting this Mac) and INSTANT replies were posted. Thanks AGAIN to all forum members.

Oh, incidentally, I love my MAC also !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ole AARP-phart, Marty

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...and what I learn just from reading other people's threads! :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's called Forum Spy, and the link to it is on the toolbar at the top of this page. Check it out if you want to see posts as they happen.

Even faster than posting a thread and waiting for responses is a tool called MRoogle, which enables you to search the MR forums with the Google search engine. Since most questions have been asked and answered many times before, you're likely to quickly find answers to most or all of your questions. If you don't find an answer by searching, posting a new thread is still welcome.