How to Delete or Deactivate Your Apple ID Account and Data

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has launched a new Data and Privacy website that enables users to request a copy of all of the data associated with their Apple ID accounts that the company maintains on its servers. The page also provides options to delete or deactivate an Apple ID by following the step-by-step instructions outlined below.

[​IMG]

While any customer anywhere can delete an Apple ID account, Apple says the ability to deactivate an Apple ID account is limited to accounts with locations set in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland. Apple intends to roll out the deactivation option around the world "in the coming months."

Keep in mind that deleting an Apple ID account and any associated data is a permanent, irreversible* action. After your account is deleted, Apple can't reopen or reactivate your account or restore any of your data, and you will no longer be able to access any of the content and services listed below.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Delete or Deactivate Your Apple ID Account and Data

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

So what happens when hackers access your account and delete it?

Of course, better for the hackers to "deactivate" your account instead of deleting it, so they can hold the access code for ransom.

3. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

The same thing that happens if a hacker deletes any other account: it’s deleted.

Won’t happen though. We’ve been able to delete our Apple accounts for years. How many reports of this have you heard?

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

How far can this be taken? Can you import this downloaded data into another account? I've got two Apple IDs because I was an idiot when setting up my accounts. I setup my iTunes Apple ID that uses a non-Apple email address in the early 2000s and my .MAC account a few years later when I got my first Mac. So I've got all these purchases on the first account and all my iCloud data on the second account, along with an account name I'd like to keep because it's shorter and ends with @mac.com. Could I, in theory, download my data from my iTunes/App Store account, delete it, and merge that into my @mac.com account? Or download/delete my old @mac.com account, and create a new account and import the data from both of those accounts and it will maintain the iCloud/iTunes/App Store data from both but under a new user name? This has been a hassle for so many years! If they never sort this out, when I strike it rich I'm going to just rebuy all my content on my iCloud account.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Unless someone kept the receipt to get apple to remove the activation lock (as the original owner, not an eBay/craigslist purchase) if they delete there account they will brick the iOS device after a wipe/restore.

I suspect there will be some threads on here of people who do exactly that, deleted the account before remembering about the activation lock.

I am surprised apple hasn't worked out some method of not bricking the device in this case before rolling this feature out.

6. rhyzome macrumors regular

i have 2 apple IDs. If I delete my old one, can I reuse the email address (@icloud.com i think) with my current Apple ID or will the old email address/ apple id name be locked?

7. TeeHawkZ32 macrumors regular

TeeHawkZ32

When an account is requested for deletion, there will be a 7 day waiting period before the process is completed so the owner of the account can request it be cancelled.

8. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Very likely you won't be able to reuse it. They have historically been extremely reluctant to let email addresses be reused - even when it's the same person, or family members. You can ask them, but I expect the answer will be, "sorry, we can't do that."

What I did, long ago, is to get a personal domain and set up forwarding from me@example.com to one of my Apple IDs. That way, my publicly visible address will remain stable forever, but I can redirect to a new/different back-end server at my whim (have been using iCloud as the back-end to take advantage of the push notifications for new email).

9. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Might not help if the hacker intercepts the notification.

But as I said, won’t happen.

10. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

So has anyone downloaded their data to see what Apple retains, above and beyond the obvious things like purchases?

And does the data tool allowing you to selectively purge data like Google (sort of) allows? I really wish that they’d let you delete purchases. So annoying having to go through and “hide” apps that are now defunct.

11. sir-hd macrumors 6502

sir-hd

I've currently got a case open with this after I wrote Phil Schiller an email on this exact question. He never replied but I got contacted by the "sub-manager" of the App Store. They are aware there are cases where this is needed/useful. I hate having all that trash and old apps cluttering my Apple ID.

12. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Same situation here. At first they didn’t allow .MAC accounts to be used. So I signed up for my iTunes account with another email. I’d love to be able to merge the accounts together.