How to Delete OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sahni130, Oct 27, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

How do you completely delete apps from a mac? I remember on windows all you had to do was send files to the recycle bin and that was it? Somehow my hard drive memory keeps shrinking. Please help.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most apps all you need to do is trash the app. Don't forget to empty your trash can occasionally. Sometimes a further cleanup is needed and apps like AppTrap or AppZapper can help there. If all you did was recycle your apps on Windows, what happens to all the registry entries?

3. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

why does my hard drive keep shrinking little by little everyday even though i don't download or save anything. just today 1gb disappeared.

4. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

maybe i should clarify, i did go to add/remove programs to delete apps on windows. is there anything similar to that on os x?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nope. You could try one of the apps mentioned above but for most apps (90%) just deleting should work fine. Could also be a log file building up in which case it should clear itself occasionally. Could also be your swap file growing as you open more apps. That will reset after a reboot.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Try restarting and see if the drive goes back to normal size, it sounds like an out of control log file somewhere.

7. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

i also see this everytime i open iphoto, how do i stop this?
    "a photo has been found in the iphoto library that has not been imported, would you like to import it"?
    and after clicking "no" it says "The photo has been placed in the folder /Users/jay2010/Pictures/iPhoto Library Recovered Photos_8."

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I've used just about every version of Windows since 1.1 and all had a registry meaning all Apps must be properly uninstalled to update the registry. What version are you using that doesn't have a registry? :D

A great little free program for removing Apps and Widgets is AppCleaner.

9. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

sorry i should have worded my question better. i do have to go into the registry to delete apps in windows.