How to delete partitin on external HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilgit, May 2, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2010
    On my MBP, I have replaced my Toshiba 750GB HD, with an Intel 250GB SSD drive. Before that I had Parallels and Win 7 on my Toshiba and assigned about 140GB out of 750GB for Windows 7. Now I intend to use my Toshiba as an external HD with a Macally FireWire 800 Storage Enclosure.
    My question: When I connect the external Toshiba to my MBP for the first time, will I be able to remove the 140GB partition with Disk Utility? Will Disk Utility recognize that partition that was used by Windows with Parallels? How do I get rid of that partition, so that I can use the whole space for backup?
  2. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2010
  3. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Are you sure? When I open disk utilities and check my SSD hd it does not see the 64GB partition that Windows 7 uses. So how will it recognize it on the external hd?
  4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2010
    not sure why your disk utility is not seeing your bootcamp partition. it can see my bootcamp partition.

either way, give it a try. plug in your external HD and open disk utility. it'll see your partitions then go from there.
  5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    If there is nothing you absolutely need to save on the external, you might consider re-initializing it with Disk Utility into a single partition....
  6. rolexman1008 macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am also using Parallels n Win 7 in an Intel 320 160GB SSD.

Parallels does NOT partition your drive. Hence Disk Utility will not detect any partition.

Go ahead n just erase.