How to delete photos synced through iTunes, when that option is not longer available?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Decembergirl, May 24, 2013.

1. Decembergirl macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I've done a search and can't find an answer.

I have a late 2010 MBP that had a hard drive crash a month or so ago. I had a hint this was coming, and the same hint lead me to believe I'd also corrupted my time machine backup. Both hunches turned out to be correct, so as a precaution I synced my important photos to my iPad, so that there would at least be a copy of them somewhere.

Fast forward to now. My time machine backup was indeed corrupted and I'm having to manually restore all of my iPhoto events from the one set of masters that were recoverable. I have the photos on the iPad for reference, so although this is painstakingly slow, I'm getting there. I just have one problem. I've maxed out the space on my iPad with photos, so as I reconstruct the iPhoto events I'd like to be able to delete the appropriate photos from the iPad and free up some space. However, since the MBP had its HD replaced, it now won't sync with the iPad wirelessly. I could plug it in, but given that not all the iPhoto events are on my HD, I'm worried I'll over write them, and then not be able to use them as a reference to reconstruct those still missing in iTunes.

So, after that long winded explanation (sorry!) can anyone help me with how to delete the photos that were synced via iTunes, without actually plugging it in to iTunes now? Is there a third part app perhaps?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Kerry

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Since I don't use iPhoto I didn't understand fully (or maybe I'm just tired) but what about just trying to recover the photos from the iPad via copying them to the MBP, using something like i-FunBox?

That way you'll have the "important pictures" back on the MBP and then you can play around as you please..

I'm sure if you close iPhoto and whatnot before plugging it in nothing bad is gonna happen and if they open automatically just cancel whatever they try to do (and since this library is new, you won't have the trouble of triggering an auto-sync-when-plugged-in -if such thing exists- because you haven't "turned it on" yet).

3. Decembergirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, I'll go and have a look at the program. :)