How to delete pics from iPad but leave on iCloud?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by justjax, Sep 5, 2015.

1. justjax macrumors regular

I have an iPad mini with 16gb storage (gift, wouldn't have opted for such limited size) and after recently browsing through some older pics (so it's downloaded them locally from iCloud Photo Library) the iPad is nearly full and I keep getting a message to that effect. I want to delete the pics locally but if I select the option to delete a pic it says this picture will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all my devices and of course I don't want that to happen. Is there a way to force the iPad to delete the local files so I'd have to pull them off iCloud again if I browsed them? ? I have the iPad set 'optimise iPad' in the photo and camera settings but it doesn't seem to do anything.

What do you guys recommend?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

apple would appreciate it if you did it this way.

go to settings iCloud
    enable iCloud photo sharing
    enable my photo stream
    enable iCloud photo library

doing it this way is going to cost you a monthly fee. you only get 5 gb of space for free.
    apple wants 99 cents a month for 20 gb, $3.99 a month for 200 gb , etc etc

as long as you either pay the monthly fee or live with a puny 5 gb of cloud storage, your pictures will be safe
    on iCloud for as long as you keep paying. once they are on iCloud photo library , you should be able to delete them

when deleting pictures i think you limit yourself to deleting pictures in the camera roll.
    if you delete them from other places like photo stream or the iCloud library they will be deleted across devices

there are other cloud places to store your photos. so explore them
    watch out though. some of these other places that store your pictures can resell them.

whatever you do. start syncing your iPhone to photos / iPhones on the mac , or windows, iTunes etc.
    you want to make sure your photos are backed up on your computer before you start messing around
    and deleting them from your phone. you don't want your phone to be the only place that has that picture

i thought how photos in the cloud works is you take a picture and the high quality one gets put up on iClou and then you get a smaller picture on the phone, or the picture gets deleted from the phone automatically but i haven't signed up yet for this

photo stream is totally free. and whatever pictures you take get put there. but the drawback is apple keeps 1000 pictures at a time. if you wait too long, apple will eventually delete the picture from photo stream. this is why its so important to back up photos to your mac or pc , no matter what solution you choose.