How to delete plist files?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by disasterdrone, Feb 2, 2014.

1. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I'm having trouble deleting a plist file - I realize it's cached, I've tried logging out, restarting, killing cfprefsd, but no luck - the cached version returns - how do I do this now?
    Thanks!

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Boot the recovery partition if you have one. Then use Disk Utility to mount your install drive/partition open Terminal from the same Utilities menu you used to start DU and rm /path/to/install/System/Library/Extentions/Some.kext/Contents/ToBeDeleted.plist. Once done reboot and you should have it done as the operating system would not have been running preventing the deletion because of the caching.

3. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously? That's the only way to do it? Thanks.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Only way I can see to do so with the operating system not running messing you about with the cache. Going to have to adjust the path for sure to the launch daemons one as I see now it is a daemon your talking about not a .kext, had that stuck in my brain somehow when writing that.

5. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Am I halucinating though? In olden times you used to be able to just delete them?

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No clue I usually only do an edit on them don't think I have ever had to delete one.

7. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

have you tried to force delete from terminal?

sudo rm -R "/MyDrive/Folder/Blah/stubborn.plist"

for more information or tips on how to accomplish a force delete in terminal, google search "force delete with terminal in osx"

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

-f is force -R recursive.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Which plist specifically are you trying to delete?

Like you mentioned, Mavericks caches plist files. The routine should be delete plist reboot then start the app to recreate the default plist.

What exact sequence are you following?

10. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi thanks for the help.
    I'm trying to delete the time machine plist, I'm having extensive time machine problems and am following Pondini's advice for a full reset.
    I'm not having trouble deleting the file, it's not a force delete problem. My problem is that the plist restores itself from the cache.
    1. Delete plist.
    2. Empty trash.
    3. Reboot.
    4. plist is back.

11. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did you disable Time Machine before deleting the .plist and restarting ?

12. Weaselboy, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this order.

1. Turn off Time Machine
    2. Delete plist.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Turn on Time Machine

That should create a new default plist.

When you say the plist is back, are you sure the one that came back is cached or do the date/time created show it may be the newly created default like you want?

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

What is the name of, and the location of, the cache file (or files) in which the plists are cached?

If that file (or files) can be identified and located, why not move it (them) to the desktop and then reboot?

I am assuming that during a reboot, the OS will "look for" the cache(s) in a predetermined place. And that if it can't find and read them, it will then just read the actual (i.e. non-cached) plist files and in the process of doing so create a NEW cache file(s).

It may be necessary to use a utility (such as PathFinder) that can easily see and move files that are normally invisible to the user...

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you delete a .plist file, a new one is automatically created by the app.

15. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.
    I have tm turned off when I do this. The plist is recreated with the same settings as before, not new default settings. I'm going to try the recovery partition route later.
    Thanks,

16. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I am not sure exactly what settings you are trying to remove, but I know that some apps, for example iDefrag, will store a "Settings" file in odd places. In the case of iDefrag, its licensing information to help deter replication of that file. I have seen files with names that resemble "sfsfsdgw3232f" that seem to be intentionally named that way to help prevent user identification.

17. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the time machine plist file.

18. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Have you tried simply using

Code:
    defaults delete /path/to/preference/file.plist