How to delete Recycle Bin folders within the Mac Music Folder?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by schwine1, May 11, 2011.

1. schwine1 macrumors regular

I have several $RECYCLE.BIN folders in the Music folder on the Mac side of my computer. These $RECYCLE.BIN folders were created when I had the "Shared Folders" option enabled within VMware.

Since then, I have disabled the "Shared Folders" option and I would like to delete all of these $RECYCLE.BIN folders within the Music folder on the Mac side of the computer.

However, I am having difficulty deleteing these $RECYCLE.BIN folders, as the delete option within the Finder window is greyed out for some reason (pathway: Finder window > edit > delete), after I locate and highlight the $RECYCLE.BIN folders within the Music folder.

Thanks for any tips on how to permanently delete the $RECYCLE.BIN folders within the Music folder on the Mac side of the computer.

Attached Files:

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im sure you can do it in Terminal but im not well versed with Terminal so I wont even try to give you the commands but google can help. I notice I get these folders also and I think I deleted them on Windows, have you tried going in to the Windows side and delete them?

3. Quad5Ny, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Try taking ownership of them:

• Open up a Finder window and go to the Folder with all the $RECYCLE.BIN's
    • Now Open up a Terminal window
    • Type (In Terminal) "sudo chown root:YourUserNameHere " (make sure to include that Space and to replace YourUserNameHere with your User name)
    • Switch to Finder, select all the $RECYCLE.BIN's and drag them into the Terminal window
    • Press Enter (It will ask you for your password)
    • Now try deleting them in Finder
    ---------

Deleting them from Terminal:
    (I would actually prefer you don't use this method, because if you do something wrong or if I made a mistake in the steps....)

• Open up a Finder window and go to the Folder with all the $RECYCLE.BIN's
    • Now Open up a Terminal window
    • Type "sudo rm -rf " (make sure to include that Space)
    • Switch to Finder, select all the $RECYCLE.BIN's and drag them into the Terminal window
    • Press Enter (It will ask you for your password)
    • Check to see if they are gone
    Note: "rm -rf" Is dangerous, you can delete large amounts of directory's and files with a single keystroke. So PLEASE be careful what your dragging into the finder window and what your typing (You don't want to accidentally type a wild card and have rm delete your entire HD).

---------

If nothing else works:

• Open up a Terminal window
    • Type "cd ~/Music"
    • Type "ls -al@"
    • Paste the output of that command here, so we can see what the hell is up with the $RECYCLE.BIN folders

4. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Quad5Ny.

I tried your first method in Terminal and that worked.

All the best.