How to delete single folder in Trash?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SimonasLT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. SimonasLT macrumors newbie

After borrowing Mac for two weeks, I want to delete software Ive installed. I dragged folder from Applications to Trash. How to delete it from there, since I don't want to delete all files. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'd have to drag everything else out of the trash, empty it, then put everything else back. Be aware that if you delete an app by dragging the .app or folder from the /Applications folder to the trash, there are very likely other related files/folders that remain. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

4. SimonasLT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the link, but to use it I must empty trash. I can't do that since there are some personal photos, movies and documents from the past. Any other solutions? I want something like "Control Panel" in Win7, just uninstall everything without leaving any related files.
    PS I tried to move it to my USB, but Finder can't Cut?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Create a folder on your desktop.
    2. Drag everything from the Trash to the new folder.
    3. Drag into the Trash whatever you want to delete.
    4. Empty the Trash.
    5. Drag everything from the folder on your desktop back into the Trash.
    As miles01110 said, the Trash is not intended to be used for storage. Only put in the Trash what you intend to delete. If you're not ready to delete something, don't put it in the Trash.

6. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

have you tried this:-
    appcleaner

Also, why are you keeping personal files in the trash? :confused:

My advice, move everything you want to keep, out of the trash into your user folders. (photo's to 'Pictures' folder, movies to 'Movies' folder etc.) only put items into the trash that you don't want anymore.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software like AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe in Lion, I'm not sure. But anything before Lion, no, you can't cut and paste files or folders. You must copy, then delete one, or move it; depends on if you are working with one volume or two. (i.e. removable disc and hard drive)

9. SimonasLT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, finally got it cleaned ;)
    OS X is really great operating system, but working with files system... Meh.