How to delete some system files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mynameisshawn, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I was using CCC when I accidentally turned off my power strip which turned off my external.
    I removed all the remnants of what was copied except System > Library > CoreServices > boot.efi and BootX
    Both files are locked and when I went to Get Info the Locked box was grayed out.

Its not much of a problem, but its been ticking me off since. Can anyone help me out?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Why you incessant little bumbling whootenanny you.....just who do you think you are ? turning off the juice whilst makin a clone.... how dare you !!!!!!

But seriously, you have succeeded in FUBARRING your clone......best to just wipe it clean & start over........just deleting the files, even if you could, will NOT fix the file system damage that occurred when the power went off.......

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

4. mynameisshawn thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks, well its not like its taking up a lot of space (400kb), I have couple of projects on it and I think I'll wipe the drive after I'm finished.

Thanks guys

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Just to add, I think you need to "sudo rm -rf filename" for that since its a system file.

7. marcinito macrumors newbie

marcinito

Hi All!

I have a similar problem - I have some locked system files in two of my old Time Machine backups on external hard drive. I was making a small cleaning and wanted to remove the old backups I don't need anymore. Everything went smooth except for bootX and boot.efi in system / library / core services.

These two files are listed in my actual system / library / core services now as well. What seems a bit odd to me is that a read privilege is awarded to someone called "wheel" and I have no idea who that is. Other read privilege is for "everyone" and the read / write for "system".

Either way, since those system files are backed up, I guess I can delete them, right?

thanks for help