How to delete System 9 from Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kashchei, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My wife's G4 iMac is getting a bit cramped since I set up my own account on this machine. I wanted to save some space on the HD by deleting System 9, something she once needed but doesn't anymore. I tried to move the system folder to the trash and got the error message "this operation can't be completed because item "system folder" is required by the system." Is there anyway to get rid of System 9 on this machine?

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Not sure but it should be one of 2 ways:

1) boot up with your Tiger install disk and see if there is a way to remove it.

2) if the above didn't work, you will probably need to back up all your Tiger profiles and Apps and do a clean install of Tiger (without OS9 this time).

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You must first stop Classic. Then drag the folder "System Folder" to the trash, then restart the computer, then empty the trash.

TEG

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I double checked to make sure, but Classic is not currently running and I'm still unable to place the system folder in the trash. I guess I'll have to do a reinstall without Classic. Thanks to both of you for all your help!

5. andy.barron macrumors 6502

What TEG is saying is go to system prefs & disable classic there first.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This certainly should not be necessary. Are you sure you're dragging the OS9 System Folder?

7. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Yes, that's what I double checked. In the system preferences it says that "Classic is not currently running." And I'm quite sure that what I'm dragging to the trash is the system 9 folder rather than the Tiger folder (the former is technically named the "system folder" while the latter is just "system").

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Isn't there a way to delete files through the Terminal? You just need to make sure it's pointed at the proper folder.

9. andy.barron macrumors 6502

or reboot in 'safe' mode (shift key). This may enable the folder to be trashed.

10. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

heatmiser, you are psychic--I was just opening Terminal when your post came up. I'm so bad at Terminal, however, that I couldn't remember the command for deleting a file/folder.

11. andy.barron macrumors 6502

12. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks, andy.barron--that's what I thought I remembered. Here's what comes up when I type "rm" and then drag the folder to the terminal screen:

[SGC:~] kashchei% rm /System\ Folder/
    rm: /System Folder/: is a directory
    [SGC:~] kashchei%

I've seen posts deleted by the moderators that had bad unix commands in them that would delete everything on a drive, so I'm surprised to see that Terminal won't get rid of this folder without a second thought.

Any other suggestions?

13. andy.barron macrumors 6502

14. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

He could have re-installed Tiger by now and be on his merry way.
    But yes, it is curious that you can't just drag/drop delete it. Is it a sudo command in Terminal? Maybe he's got sudo disabled/locked.

15. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I did reboot into safe mode and got the same result (see long error message cited above). I haven't gotten out the Tiger installation disk since I'm not at home, but you are right--this would be the simplest way to tackle this particular problem it seems.

16. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I was going to suggest that next! or boot from an external, then there is no way it can be being used.

Best of luck (its midnight here & I'm off from some zzz's)!!:D

17. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks so much for your help and good night!

18. andy.barron macrumors 6502

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

In order to delete a folder structure in the terminal, you have to do:

sudo rm -rf [directory]

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS COMMAND. The Terminal will happily start deleting exactly what you tell it to as soon as you hit enter and type your password, so MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENTERED IT CORRECTLY.

In this case, it'd be:

sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder/

MAKE SURE YOU DO THE "\ Folder/" part, or else it'll start deleting your Tiger "/System/" structure.

20. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is safer, and POSTIX recommended that you,

sudo rm -rf "System Folder"

TEG

21. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for this recommendation, which finally worked! At first, the folder still remained, but it no longer had its OS9 icon. This allowed me to throw away the folder as I would any folder.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this problem. This is a perfect example of why I love the MR community so much!