Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I used Boot Camp to setup a partition for installing Windows. I no longer need the partition nor Windows. How can I delete that partition and make it useful for my laptop?

I'd like to have it as just one big hard drive rather than it showing up as 2 separate hard drives. I believe it's called extend the hard drive if I'm correct.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Boot from your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility, click on the partition, click on 'Delete' (NOT 'Erase'!). Then you can resize the existing HFS+ partition to occupy the now freed-up space if you like.

If your Boot Camp partition is on an external HD, then you do not need to boot off a DVD. The DVD boot only applies if you're trying to edit the internal boot drive's partitioning.

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
Try going into the bootcamp assistant. Hit continue on the first screen and select "Create or remove a Windows partition" on the next and follow the steps.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would do it through Boot Camp Assistant first rather than Disk Utility only using Disk Utility of Boot Camp Assistant fails which some have experienced.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Before I heard any responses here I went into Disk Utility and "erased" the Windows boot camp partition. I may have created more work for myself but...

Now when I go into Boot Camp Assistant I get this message:

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Did you extend the Mac OS X partition to fill the entire HD again?

No I was waiting for a solution for above. I didn't know what to do. I still have my Snow Leopard partition [475gb] and the, now "UNTITLED" hard drive partition [25gb].

I still need assistance.

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
When I deleted my windows partition I didn't use bootcamp. I went into disk utility, clicked the window partition, then hit the minus button to get rid of it... dragged the Mac OS X partition to fill the entire HDD and hit apply... easy as that :D

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
When I deleted my windows partition I didn't use bootcamp. I went into disk utility, clicked the window partition, then hit the minus button to get rid of it... dragged the Mac OS X partition to fill the entire HDD and hit apply... easy as that :D

I clicked on the Windows partition but I don't see a + or - sign.

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
its below the left of the partition box, see my picture for help, my mouse was hovering over it (screen shots dont pick up mouse) and the info box is visible

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 1.18.25 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-05 at 1.18.25 PM.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 149

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
thanks that did it. I was selecting the wrong partitions. I needed to be at the main part of the partition.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
its below the left of the partition box, see my picture for help, my mouse was hovering over it (screen shots dont pick up mouse) and the info box is visible

Please use Cmd-Shift-4 for these kind of screenshots. Add a space bar when mouse is over a window if you don't want to manually select the area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.