How to Delete Time Machine Backups??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by austinlallen, Dec 17, 2011.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hello

I have been Backing up my hard drive with time machine for the past year on my 1 TB WD My Book External HDD and now the hdd is full!!!

I usually Store my Virtual Machines (about 20 GB), Music (3 GB), and Documents (about 10 GB). My time machine backups take up 935 GB!!!!

Is their any way to delete multiple backups from the past or an app that automatically deletes backups over time????

Thanks

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Does it itself. More here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You might want to consider a different backup strategy for your virtual machines. I'm not sure if it's still true, but TM would see the virtual machine as a single file that changes frequently. So of course it would back up the changes in that big file, and that can consume a considerable amount of space, especially if the virtual machine is running during the backup. VMWare, for example, recommended excluding its virtual machines from the TM backup.

Better to back up the virtual machine on occasion as you would a clone, and then backup the data within the virtual machine using shared folders or using an appropriate network-based backup.