Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all

I've just got my new Mac and after updating the OS on it I used migration assistant to move my content across from my time machine backup. This process recreated my 'old' user account from my previous Mac.

I now want to use this migration user account and delete the one I had to initially set up to be able to update the new Mac to High Sierra. However, when I go to the 'users and groups' menu in 'settings' and unlock the options with my admin password, the '-' button is greyed out when I select the user account I want to delete.

Does anyone know how I delete this user? My migrated account is an administrator account.

Many thanks.

M.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrationProblems.html

This page describes the problem and has a convoluted fix. The problem is you created an account, then afterward imported an account with the same UID501 as the article describes.

The easiest fix IMO is to command-r boot to recovery then erase the drive and reinstall clean, then import during the setup assistant when it reboots to the clean install. That will fix this.

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrationProblems.html

This page describes the problem and has a convoluted fix. The problem is you created an account, then afterward imported an account with the same UID501 as the article describes.

The easiest fix IMO is to command-r boot to recovery then erase the drive and reinstall clean, then import during the setup assistant when it reboots to the clean install. That will fix this.

I would have thought Apple would have thought of this when users are transferring over using migration assistant!

Will command+r reinstall the OS that the device came with (Sierra) or the latest version (High Sierra). I need High Sierra to be able to use migration assistant as my backup drive is a High Sierra backup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would have thought Apple would have thought of this when users are transferring over using migration assistant!

I agree, or at least pop up a warning telling you stop or something. I probably see people like yourself on here once a month who are in the exact same pickle because of this.

Will command+r reinstall the OS that the device came with (Sierra) or the latest version (High Sierra). I need High Sierra to be able to use migration assistant as my backup drive is a High Sierra backup.

command-r will get you the same OS version you are running now, so if it is in HS, you will get HS.

John1221

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
I agree, or at least pop up a warning telling you stop or something. I probably see people like yourself on here once a month who are in the exact same pickle because of this.

command-r will get you the same OS version you are running now, so if it is in HS, you will get HS.
[doublepost=1514329636][/doublepost]
Hi all

I've just got my new Mac and after updating the OS on it I used migration assistant to move my content across from my time machine backup. This process recreated my 'old' user account from my previous Mac.

I now want to use this migration user account and delete the one I had to initially set up to be able to update the new Mac to High Sierra. However, when I go to the 'users and groups' menu in 'settings' and unlock the options with my admin password, the '-' button is greyed out when I select the user account I want to delete.

Does anyone know how I delete this user? My migrated account is an administrator account.

Many thanks.

M.

I logged out of iCloud and created a dummy account and set it to admin privileges. A reboot is required to login to the new account and delete the original account. I was than able to run migration assistant and it no longer had a conflict of 2 user account with the same name. After migration delete the dummy account.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
[doublepost=1514329636][/doublepost]

I logged out of iCloud and created a dummy account and set it to admin privileges. A reboot is required to login to the new account and delete the original account. I was than able to run migration assistant and it no longer had a conflict of 2 user account with the same name. After migration delete the dummy account.
I set up two admin accounts on my Macs.

My primary/normal account would be /Users/bart and I always create a /Users/bart2 admin account as soon as I set up a new system.

That allows me to log in and perform surgery on my normal account, delete it, migrate it, whatever.

Of course, I do not log into iCloud with the bart2 account, it's just a local account with all the cloud services declined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.