How to design iphone apps??

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by djsound, Sep 1, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So if someone wanted to learn how to design apps for iphone and ipad how would they go about doing that? I am just a graphic designer at this point ....what code/ languages would I need to learn? I know nothing about coding so far...Any recommendations? I am in Vancouver Canada....thanks!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Do you mean that you want to design the user interface for iPhone and iPad apps, or you want to create (i.e. program) fully working apps?

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

option two. i'd like to learn to do the coding and create the whole app

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you go back to the list of threads, you'll notice just above the list there is a link labeled:
    In any event, I suggest you do the following:
    1.) Pick up the C Programming Language (it's a book. White cover with a big blue C in the middle.) Follow the tutorials from the first chapter or two of the book. You're just looking to pick up the basics of C, the rest of it is good to know, but not strictly necessary to know to write functional code.)

2.) After learning the basics of C as described above, dive into Stanford's iOS programming lessons on iTunes U. They have 20 lessons or so, a little over an hour each, that will teach you everything you need to know to write all but the most advanced of iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch applications.

5. djsound, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Thanks so much artofwar!! I thought I'd have to go to school or something....much appreciated. I'm on it! :D

Art have you created any apps?

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I've released a single app, made a few apps for personal use (IE, I made a personal agenda program, but it was too buggy for anyone but me to tolerate,) and created many proof-of-concept / demonstration apps.

I also have two relatively simple apps I'm working on that I hope to release within the next two months and a vastly more complex game that I'm hoping to release within the next 18 months.

Regarding school... I just started down the path to get a BS in Computer Engineering. I'm hoping it'll teach me everything about building my own hardware so that I can stop being limited to only providing software for devices I have no control over the feature set of.

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Cool!. I have a couple really good ideas (yes, everyone says that =) but have no idea how to get them from idea to finished product. But I am going to try.

8. firewood macrumors 604

Read Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) for iOS. Study it. Study the UI and graphic design of several popular apps on your iOS device (if you don't have one, buy one and use it a lot).

Then draw up your ideas on paper (or maybe a photoshop mockup) and show them to some experienced iOS developers. Either they will laugh that you are out of your mind, or they will tell you how many weeks/months it might take an experienced developer (or team of developers) to code them.

If the latter, hire a developer, or add between 2 months and 2 years to this number for you to learn how to program and write code reasonably well (some learn quick, some fail after a year of university courses).

Or maybe your ideas are easy enough for a web app (or web app packager).

YMMV.

9. hayesk macrumors 65816

if you want to do anything complex, you'll likely need to go to school - to do a good job anyway. There's a reason a computer science degree takes several years, and not 20 hours.

10. xStep macrumors 68000

Sure, but that doesn't mean the OP can't do a good job without school. Some people are very good at picking up new talents.

djsound, I know BCIT had at least one iOS (iPhone) course going on. After you've learned programming basics, consider it. Stanford has several semesters of their iPhone programming course available on iTunes for free.

This question gets asked a couple of times a week here. So look through the list of threads and I'm sure you'll find plenty of good recommendations.

11. Llucy macrumors newbie

App Development For iPhone

Hi if you are really interested to learn about iPhone Apps you have to learn coding. Rest their are some websites which provide information on DEVELOP APPS without coding .. Try something like that.

We are into same industry from last 5 years. If you further think to know or go for any iPhone app development. Discuss here ..

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Just pick up a good book and start coding! If you stick with it, you'll be creating good apps in no time.

This is only true if you're going to write a game engine, some complex image editing software, etc.

You can write most of the apps in the app store without any kind of CS knowledge (CS != programming), think of Doodle Jump, Things, Twitter, ...

13. Hansr macrumors 6502a

You have no idea about the underlying structure of Things, Twitter. But yes you don't need to go to school to learn how to program + most CS MScs I meet are **** at programming when compared to an average MFE, MSc Physics etc.

14. RodThePlod, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Agreed. The stickies/guides at the top of this forum will give the OP a good start. And will hopefully help him to determine if programming an app is actually something he can get to grips with...

RTP.

15. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Just curious, how well, in your opinion, do Computer Engineers generally do at it

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

Doodle Jump was created by a guy with an MFA (i.e. a professional artist/designer) and his brother, who was an experienced applications engineer. I have no idea if the engineer had a degree, but you shouldn't discount the level of experience, if not education, that goes into creating well done applications like these.

17. xStep, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

xStep macrumors 68000

LOL! You just had to ask. I'm more interested in which major he/she has that they feel above a CS MScs. :D

As for the thread subject; One must realize that learning this new skill is a very big time investment.

18. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I couldnt find the book "c prgramming" anywhere but I bought one called c++. Are they the same languages? I am hoping that they are. Otherwise I can take it back... Thanks for the ideas guys. Ya, if I got somewhere and needed schooling then I would proceed to school.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

No.

C++ is based off of C, but it is not C.

This is the book you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628

20. xStep macrumors 68000

You do not want a C++ book. C++, like Objective-C is a superset of C. Learning C++ will likely add confusion to your path.

Since you want to learn about coding for iPhone, start with a introduction to C book. Perhaps Learn C on the Mac. I haven't read it or the reviews. The title just seems appropriate.

The book ArtOfWarfare mentioned is the C bible.

21. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ah ok....thanks guys I'll pick that one up instead. Still confusing to me =)

22. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Keep the C++ book. You will need to learn the object oriented design concepts it uses.

To be honest it doesn't matter which language you start with. If you have never programmed before the concepts are more important than the syntax.

Look at Ruby or Python. You can program in them right away without having to worry about compile options and makefiles. There are many online resources you can check out before dropping money on a book. Google is the best programmers reference ever made.

23. xStep macrumors 68000

Those concepts will be picked up at the opportune time when he dives into an Objective-C book which is more appropriate for his target of iPhone apps.