How to determine if key is used

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nigelly, May 17, 2009.

  1. nigelly macrumors regular

    nigelly

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    #1
    Hi there,
    I have a store bought copy of iWork '08 and I have since bought office for mac. I no longer use iWork and i want to sell it on eBay, but when i was looking over the documents that came with it I noticed it had a product key included. Now I didn't think I ever put a product key in when I initially installed it so I tried installing it on my newer macbook (not the same macbook as it was originally installed on) and it never prompted me for a product key.

    I want to sell this copy and i'm pretty sure the key has never been used, but how do I find out if it has? Is it fine to sell to someone? If it doesn't prompt me for a key, does it mean it wont prompt them?
     
  2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2008
    #2
    iWork '08 prompts for the serial key the first time Pages/Keynote/Numbers is launched, or if running the test drive version, after 30 days. iWork '09 does not have a serial key if purchased in-store, only when an electronic activation is purchased from the Apple Online store from the trial.
     
  3. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

    nigelly

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    #3
    I see this now. Mine is a store bought copy, I never bothered to open the program once I reinstalled it, and now that I have it prompted me for a key. So I must have input the key when I originally installed it.
    Does this mean I can't sell it now, or will the key work over and over again?
    Thanks
     
  4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #4
    I don't think there's anything that excludes transfer of a license to another party. You own the key to the software and you're selling it - So long as you delete your install I think you're (legally) in the clear.

    If your question was more to the nature of when the purchaser enters the key will they get an "already been installed" message, I don't think that will be the case. Apple is not (yet?) like Microsoft with blocking keys, only X number of activations, etc... I'm about 95% sure it will install on a different machine without problems. I'm thinking there's a 4% chance they will get a notice, but it will install fine, and about 1% chance that I am a jelly filled doughnut.
     

Share This Page