How to Determine if New Memory is DOA?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacDano, Apr 6, 2009.

1. MacDano macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for your help.

I recently purchased two 2GB memory modules from OWC to upgrade my MacBook 2.4 Core 2 Duo. The memory arrived and I verified the packing slip matched what I had ordered.

The install went smoothly. Upon turning on my Mac, instead of booting up I got a gray screen and 3 repeatable beeps. These sounded like "warning alerts", so I immediately shut down and tried to power up again - with the same result.

I reopened my Mac and confirmed everything was done correctly by popping out the sticks and re-inserting to make sure the modules we're properly seated. Turned on the machine and got the same thing.

Nervously, I re-installed the factory modules and (thankfully) my Mac booted up just fine.

So does this mean that the memory I received is DOA? Is there anything else those 3 warning beeps might have been indicating? I'm 99 percent sure the memory I received is matched for my machine, so all I can assume is that it's faulty?

Can anyone verify my assumption before I contact OWC to help me rectify the situation?

Many thanks,
    Dan

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Try 1 stick at a time. It may be only one that is faulty.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

5. MacDano thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 black MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, containing 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (taken exactly from my "About this Mac" screen

What OWC shipped me was two 2GB PC5300 DDR2 667 MHz 200 Pin SO-DIMM (taken from my packing slip)

This is what OWC recommended for my model. Does this look correct?