How to determine if OS X leopard is pirated?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruckuzz, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ruckuzz macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm new to macs, and i'm excited about my new purchase... just bought one from BestBuy reletavely cheap. It's a 15" Macbook pro with leopard pre-installed.

The thing about this is it's a slightly used model, the person who sold it to me said the install disks are missing and so he'd knock $200 off the already reduced price!! So i ended up buying AppleCare protection with it to secure my purchase and off i went.

What bothers me now is, leopard runs fine, dont get me wrong, i'm just worried that what if this is a pirated version of Leopard on my macbook pro? Only reason i suspect it is because this macbook is an older model with the previous CPU and HD configuration seen on the Tiger Macbook pro releases (2.33ghz intel core 2 duo and 120gb HD). Couple that with the fact that the install CD's were missing?!

Is there any way to find out if my Leopard is pirated? any number to call or program to run?

I just dont want to bring my Macbook pro in for repair one day (knock on wood) and Apple refuses to do it because my OS is pirated.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you bought applecare for your MBP I wouldn't worry.

Call applecare and tell them you dont have the install disks and they should send them to you for a nominal fee.

As far as Leopard being pirated? there's no program like microsofts program to check for pirated versions.

Your only problem is you don't have a physical copy of Leopard.

3. Ruckuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

So i even if this version of leopard installed on my mac is pirated, applecare will not turn me down for service?

That's the main thing i'm worried about. I dont want to have to go out and buy a copy of leopard, then RE-INSTALL the copy i just bought you know? I just dont want, let's say, my screen being burned in or something happens, and i go to get it repaired, and they say "sorry buddy, this isnt a legitimate install of Leopard.....the Serials dont match...blah blah blah."

How can i tell that i have a legit liscence on my macbook?!

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You can't..

Just believe me when I say the way Apple and Microsoft works with O/S's is VERY different.

5. VoidBoi macrumors regular

There are none to match.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Easy. Check if it has an eye patch.

Attached Files:

7. Ruckuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, so basically then i'm safe!!

So it's not like Windows with all that WGA protection?? I've never had a problem with genuine advantage, but with used computers i get a little iffy.

A buddy of mine bought a laptop from one of those mom and pop computer stores, and turned out his copy of windows was downloaded from the internet or something, and so he couldnt update it from microsoft. So you can see why i'm a little iffy on the subject....especially when install disks mysteriously dissappear.

Wait isnt this a bad thing? i mean, couldnt any joe shmoe download and install Leopard on their macbooks without having to buy the original CD? I'm sure Apple has some sort of protection against that!

8. PDiPietro macrumors member

PDiPietro

They go by the honor system. Some people actually buy family packs.

Some can buy one disc and install it on as many machines as they feel like without any repercussions aside from the fact that they broke an essentially moral agreement.

I still suppose it's still better to legally pay for at least one disc/"user" itself and installing it on however many machines instead of doing the same thing after pirating it.

9. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Yes anyone could. The protection is all in your head. :)

10. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

HAHA, I really enjoyed that.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Some people do. Apple feels that trying to prevent it is a slipery slope. The cost to implement something like WGA will drive the cost up for the consumer, and therefore cause more piracy. Plus, it is not like you "can" install OSX on any vanilla PC like you can with Windows, so Apple doesn't have to worry too much since every Mac comes with OSX.

TEG

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I must admit, I'm rather proud of that MS Paint job.

13. Ruckuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Geez, well i guess your right. I thought that piracy was only on the Windows based systems and not on MACs, i guess i was a little nieve in thinking that.

I just got off the phone with Apple and asked the same question. They told me that as long as i had the license, i'm good. Was i supposed to get a license with my macbook pro? cuz all i have is a freakin reciept and some manuals. Was an authenticity card supposed to come with this thing?

Dammit i should have bought it from the apple store brand new....

14. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I'll admit if I were in the market for a designer I would hire you. Your Paint skills are top notch.;)

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

the Apple rep was referring to the physical copy of Leopard. You don't have one nor do you havr the original disks..

your up $%## creek if you dont obtain those items from Apple.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Comedy Goa'uld mine.

I'd never buy a Mac without any installer discs.

17. Ruckuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i guess i'll just have my friend burn me a backup copy so if something goes wrong, i'll have a proper liscence, or buy a retail version.

18. Can macrumors member

This guy gave you 200 off because he did not provide you with a disk so then you have money to buy a new one from apple :)

19. Ruckuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

lol i already used it for the apple care. But it's fine, if i need to, i'll just buy one.

That's a load off my mind. Thanks a lot guys, i'm glad to know i've got my bases covered just in case.

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, I'll break it down real easy on the piracy issue. You can use virtually any copy of Mac OS X and you can get away scott free with using it. Legally it's wrong and Morally it might keep you awake at night. But if no one else knows, then know one will be able to tell. Not saying it's right, I'm just answering the question posted.

Av'ast eee Mateeeess! ARRRRGGGGGGG! Tis' is not a legit copy of tis Operatin' Systems.

21. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Having your friend burn you a copy will not result in a "proper" License.

If you want a proper License, just go buy a RETAIL copy of Leopard, and stop worrying about it. It's only $129, if money is tight, just save up for a few weeks, and buy a copy.