How To Determine Price For iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mojo1, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I want to sell my mint-condition iPhone 3GS 32GB on my local Craigslist. How do I figure out what to charge for it? eBay? Online price guides?

I'm also considering accepting a credit card payment via Square since I figure that would attract more potential buyers. Any thoughts as to whether that is a good idea or not?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

looks to me as if you answered your own question! ;)

3. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I thought it was a trick question when I saw it earlier, so I kept on movin' :D

4. estockme macrumors regular

5. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

estockme: Thanks for that link. I didn't know that eBay had that feature. In the past I surveyed closed auctions.

6. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

If you go to eBay and click the Sell an Item link, there is a "What's it Worth" tool that will give you a very rough three-week average selling price, as well the high/lows and number of items sold. Keep in mind that this is the selling price and it does not take into account eBay and PayPal fees.

The key is to be very specific when entering in your item. Don't just say iPhone. Say: used iPhone 3GS 32GB.

7. hulagrrrl macrumors newbie

8. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Many thanks for the great information!

I'm going to list the iPhone on Craigslist at $250 and see what happens... If it doesn't sell I'll contact one of the online buyers.

9. TileGuru macrumors newbie

prices broken iphone

There are also a few other places you could try,i was wondering around getting quotes for my broken 3gs, you can see bellow i got quotes from a few other places that I found. just thought id pass the prices to show you too.
    as of march 9, 2012

$30.00 - http://www.Gazelle.com
    $58.78 - http://www.CashitGadget.com
    $42.00 - http://www.nextworth.com

im trying craigslist.com, but i may oopt out to one of these if i cant sell it for $50.00 on craigslist.

i dont really know the price, ebay is dishonest when you look at completed listings, because many are really high, and then really low, so i guess its all dependent on "luck" lol

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

11. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I got $180 for my iPhone just before Christmas. I sold it via Craigslist to a couple who bought it for their teenage son. They were delighted that it was in pristine condition and that the sale included an Otterbox Defender case that their snow boarding son would put to good use. I was happy that the phone was going to a good home where it would be appreciated.

If I had sold it just before the iPhone 4S was introduced I could have received around $250 from an online outfit. But timing is everything and I had to hang onto the old phone until I bought a new iPhone.

12. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

In late November I bought the same phone new in the box for my girlfriend for $250 from CL.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I sold my white 32GB 3GS for $130 here on this site but it was banned from buying from iTunes so I had to sell it for what I could get. I later bought another for $200.

I've seen prices all over the board on CL. eBay will always get higher prices just because it's an auction site.

14. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

You need to compare the cost of using eBay vs. selling locally via Craigslist, etc. I have found that with a little patience it is often better to sell via Craigslist.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

For a locked iPhone 3Gs in my city, one could get max $200 regardless of capacity or color. For an unlocked one using the 6.15.00 exploit, you're looking at about the same price. For a factory unlocked you're looking at about $250.

P.S. Price checks outside the marketplace are considered to be against forum rules. ;)