Price Advice How to determine resale value on my MBP? Can someone help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Misskitty, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Misskitty, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

Misskitty macrumors 6502

Just want to get a rough figure on how much I would get if I was to sell.

2011 model 13" MBP, Core i5 2.3, running OSX 8.5
    8GB ram
    160GB SSD
    Condition 10/10, no marks anywhere.
    Manual, box, all cords
    MS Office

Im in Canada, and currently, 2013 model 13" MBP new goes for $1100 with no SSD and 4GB ram. If I could get 1K for mine, Id sell it in a heartbeat.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

3. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I did the mac2sell quote and it gave me $1040. So is that how much I could get for it?

4. undesign macrumors regular

Where in Canada are you?

I'd take a look at www.kijiji.ca as its a VERY popular site across Ontario. Its similar to craigslist. I've purchased a number of Macs there, all in great condition. You'll get in idea of how much yours is worth just by looking up similar macbooks.

5. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Calgary. I took a look on Kijiji and looks like stock configs for 2011 model 13" MBPs are in the 700-850 range. Would the 160GB SSD really give my resale value a nice boost? If not, then I can pop it out and stick in the stock drive.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I mentioned, check several sources to get an idea of what may be appropriate. I wouldn't rely on just one source.

7. undesign macrumors regular

A used 160gb SSD drive will probably be worth around $120. Brand new Samsung SSD's @ 120gb sell for $100 even + tax.

If youre going to sell it through a similar site, ask for a higher price as MOST people will bargain anyway, that way you dont sell below its realistic value.

8. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Sold the exact model last year but with a 320gb hard drive for $1200.

9. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm really. But I wont get near that considering its a year later. I will be throwing in Office suite as well, so not sure if that bumps the value up.

I see, I might be better off putting back in the 5400rpm drive and sell the SSD on its own. You think I could get $1100 for all this? I might put that as my starting price.

ok

10. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

My experience is that the values on Mac2Sell are about twice what you'd receive from one of the "Sell Us Your Mac" type websites.

They're also approximately 3/4 of what you could expect to get from a sale via Craigslist.

As an example, I have a '11 15" MBP, 2.0GHz QC, 16GB RAM, 512SSD and like new in the box. I'm offered around $800 for it from SellYourMac.com; I imagine I could run the Craigslist gauntlet and eventually find someone who would pay $1100 or so. A more realistic retail in today's market (this close to the holidays doesn't help) might be $1000.

My best guess is that you're looking at something around $800 retail for your MBP ... much less than the grand you're hoping for.

11. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Taking in account.....

change rate I would say between 950-1150 CAD. Good cosmetic and functional state of the machine helps in the price. But then, remaining AppleCare, if any, al so helps IMHO....

Factor in shipping costs and fees if selling through an online site....

You can either search in the nearest eBay and see similar specs computers to get a "feel" of the market. Or apply depreciation in the cost of the computer plus upgrades....

:):apple: