How to differentiate a new Macbook Pro to a refurbished one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qsb5, May 13, 2010.

1. qsb5 macrumors newbie

Someone is selling a (supposedly) brand new MBP 15" i5 on craigslist.org and I am considering of buying it from him. I was wondering if there was any way of knowing whether it is a brand new MBP or refurbished?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

The isn't refurbished 15" i5 on apple store, so it must be a new one.

5. qsb5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea! :)

According to this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=399319 I should be able to tell by the serial number since refurbished MBPs start with "RE". But then again, it was refuted by someone else with a refurb macbook. I just wanted to double check if there was anyway to know just by looking at the serial number.

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can do the same from the Finder:
    Apple Menu, About this Mac, More Info, Hardware, Power, Cycle count

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not by looking at the serial number. Also, the battery idea isn't reliable, since refurbs can be sold with brand new batteries.
    Refurbs appear and disappear from the Refurb Store all the time. Many remain only a few minutes before being bought. That doesn't prove anything.

8. qsb5 thread starter macrumors newbie

So in other words, there is no way of knowing whether it is a refurb or not? Gosh, this sucks.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly. But what does it matter? Refurbs are sold with warranty and are in like-new condition. Some have never been used. In some ways, they've been through a more thorough quality control process than new ones. Refurbs are great deals.

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I am fairly certain that its not a refurb. I have been on Apple's refurb site every day for the last 2 months. I am out of work, so I have been monitoring throughout the day. There have been no i5's on the site yet.

11. qsb5 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ GGJstudios

It is not a matter of quality imho its just a matter of price. If I'm paying almost the full price of a brand new MBP, it just doesn't feel right getting a refurb one.

Thanks anyways for all the input.

12. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Don't refurbs come in plain brown boxes compared to the glossy white boxes? You could ask to see the box? Or if you can't meet the person in person to check it out, he could photograph the box with serial # sticker and the actual serial number on the machine. You can also put a serial number into the apple website to check warranty status. I think it will show you the date the machine was registered if it ever was....but I'm not sure it would show refurb status.

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You can tell by the box. Refurbs come in a plain brown box. If it's a sealed white box with handle and artwork, you can be pretty sure it's new. However like others have mentioned, a refurb is just as good as new anyway.

My primary concern would be whether the seller is trying to pass off his own used notebook as new. Look for signs that its been repackaged. As recently as the i5's release was though, it's probably a moot point. Just examine it closely.

14. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I have a suspicion that Apple was/is still building "last" gen MBP's when the new ones were/are released.

JohnG

15. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Actually all the refurbished MacBooks & MacBook Pros have distinctive serials as opposed to retail, most Retailed non-refurb start with a W and a number following for most of my recent MBPs (retail) are W8.

all of the refurbs either had a Z or are all numbers.

other than that practically identical.

16. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I work from home and check the site at least 2-3 times daily as I'm looking to jump on a good deal through the refurbed store. Haven't seen one yet, so I highly doubt he's selling a refurb i5.

17. kyleh613 macrumors regular

Do you know if Apple treats them the same as their iphones where they pretty much completely replace the hardware, minus the screen?

18. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I agree. My 2008 came in excellent condition. Appeared brand new.

All I'll ever buy is refurbs from Apple. :apple:

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Who are you paying full price to?

If you're buying from the Apple store, then you'll only get a refurb if you specifically buy a refurb.

20. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

My question is similar:

On Ebay, how does one tell the difference between this year's iteration of a new in box 13" MBP and last year's new in box iteration?

How are the serial numbers different?

21. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Clock speed of processor is one way to tell. The cheapest 13" came with a C2D at 2.26Ghz and the new ones start at 2.4Ghz.