How to disable a link once bandwidth limit is reached

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
While my site is still on hiatus, I'm going to let a friend use my server to host some files for her site (which gets upwards of 10.000 visitors a day). Because these will be video files and because the site gets a TON of downloads, they tend to host files on RapidShare. I have about 200 GB of bandwidth a month to use and plenty of room. What I want to know, is there a script that will disable the download link once the bandwidth limit is reached??

Thanks!!

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I don't know what or who hiatus is, but in most cases you would need a custom software solution to limit bandwidth/data transfer.

You might need to create some scripts that monitor the number of downloads and the size of each download so that you can add restrictions.

On the other hand, some web servers allow you to limit these things, but you would probably need root/admin access to your server.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
dornoforpyros said:
chances are once you exceed your bandwidth your host will shut you down anyways.
Or, worse, not shut you down but start the meter running for per GB bandwidth use. It's like cell phone cos.--they're happy to charge for overage (assuming your credit is good).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mariahlullaby said:
While my site is still on hiatus, I'm going to let a friend use my server to host some files for her site (which gets upwards of 10.000 visitors a day). Because these will be video files and because the site gets a TON of downloads, they tend to host files on RapidShare. I have about 200 GB of bandwidth a month to use and plenty of room. What I want to know, is there a script that will disable the download link once the bandwidth limit is reached??

Thanks!!
google for some scripts that work on your particular server setup.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
What OS is running on your server? Are you using Apache?

You'll need either custom programming or will need to find an off-the-shelf software that can do this for you. Or, you'll just have to keep checking your server logs to see how much bandwidth is being used and do it manually once you see the limit has been reached.