How to: Disable ads in Cycorder

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The General, Sep 8, 2008.

1. The General macrumors 601

I dunno if this is allowed here, but since we're allowed to post links to things like Adblock for Safari and Adblock for Firefox, I'm assuming it's quite alright. ;)

Anyway, I hexedited Cycorder and disabled the ads. I will tell you how to do it in a few simple steps.

1. Download HexEdit for Mac.
    http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/

2. Get the Cycorder binary off of your iPhone and open it with HexEdit.

3. Press CMD+F for "Find" and type "http" ... this will locate the part in the program where it gets the ads from a "website" so to speak. Make sure it's the URL that has "iSDK" just after it. On the left, you'll see all sorts of hexidecimal stuff, and on the right you'll see what looks like the makings of a URL. Highlight the part that says "http" and replace it with "xxxx" ... now save it and you're done with HexEdit.

4. Go back to the Cycorder directory on your iPhone and rename the original Cycorder binary to CycorderBackup just incase something bad happens. Now copy the new one in there that you saved with HexEdit.

5. If you run Cycoder, you'll see that it crashes instantly. That's because we haven't puedo-signed it yet. To do this, log into your phone via SSH as root, or install MobileTerminal and su to root:

apt-get install ldid
    cd /Applications/Cycorder.app
    ldid -S Cycorder

Make sure the S is a capital S there. ;)

And there you have it! A black bar on the left instead of nasty ads for the AppStore. I'm sure this will work with any other program that uses the same ads, but I just discovered this tonight. Sorry, Jay. :D I don't like ads. ;)

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not that I really care one way or the other, but since you regularly bash people for piracy, I'm chiming in. How is disabling an app's ads any different from piracy? Piracy takes away the dev's income; removing ads takes away from the dev's income. If everyone did it, maybe the dev would just switch to a paid app, no?

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

4. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Considering how much time and effort Saurik commits to this community i don't think it's very fair to do this. I wouldn't blame him for making this app pay only if people start doing this.

Not a very nice way of saying thankyou for all the time he has invested in all his great apps, including Cydia!!

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Very True. I didn't even notice it until I read this thread. I think Saurik put it there so it would be the least annoying thing and its so small as it is. You barely notice it at all. He has given so much to the community, let him give you the best FREE recording application and put a tiny ad. Its not like he is watermarking your videos.

6. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Only a small number of people find the ads objectionable (that much is clear by the response to this thread) and will implement my mod; this helps to strike a balance between the objectionability of the ads and the usability of the app. If the ads are so objectionable that everyone mods it, then the developer should switch to a different and more sustainable income model.

In response to your direct criticism towards me, I would suggest you reread my posts and find that nowhere do I bash piracy or people for pirating. I only inform them that it is against the rules to discuss such matters here.

7. deenybird macrumors regular

ignore the haters....
    thanks for this post 'the general'

8. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

bit harsh on saurik who makes all his apps for free....like cydia and cyrecorder

9. The General thread starter macrumors 601

And I would argue that the ads are a bit harsh on my eyes. But we're both entitled to our opinions, and I am certainly not going to MAKE you mod your Cycorder program. :p

I would also argue that he doesn't make them for free, as he makes money on the ads. ;)

10. ozblogger macrumors newbie

a big thanks from me as well
    And to those that complain, donate to the cause and stop complaining

11. tamakin macrumors member

Shame on you. Delete your instructions before Jay sees it. I don't mind the tiny ads on Cycorder. It's free. If Jay finds out about your ridiculous hack, I won't be surprised if he starts charging for the app. Take down your instructions NOW.

12. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Are you paying anything to use it? No.
    That means free. Whether he makes any money has nothing to do with the fact that its a free application and he has given more than anyone can ask of him to the iPhone community. The ad isn't even that big or THAT annoying. It hides itself too.

13. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

All is fair in love and war. cydia violates somebody elses agreement and allows a few apps tobe gained free that might have been purchased otherwise through the store. If somebody cuts into that developers piece of the pie now I really don't care. I don't care that cydia circumvents Apple's store and I don't care if people avoid his adds.

It is like people that torrent arguing over keeping a decent ratio. I am not saying that it is the same thing but sort of mad me laugh watching others that are berating fellow thieves for not sharing their fair amount. Not that I really care one way or another.

14. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Do you hit return after each of those lines? I hit return after "apt-get install Idid" and it told me that it needed to unpack some stuff and it would take up 2200kb of space...so I aborted since I don't know what I'm doing.

15. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, you have to hit return after each of those commands. apt-get install ldid will install a program called ldid. It apparently is 2.2mb in size, so that is normal.

16. rwd hero macrumors 6502

17. ozblogger macrumors newbie

Just SSH (using Putty) into Iphone and run these commands there
    these are UNIX commands btw

18. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Yep, but he still needs a hexeditor to use in Windows and I dunno which one to recommend for Windows (there are plenty on Google), since I haven't used any of them. Anyone have a recommendation?

19. yaemes macrumors member

thank you so much, i have been trying to edit apps to make them better and could not figure out why after every edit, it would crash! so the key is ldid

20. GNice macrumors 6502

Bad...really bad. Saurik has provided a ton of free stuff for iPhone owners and this is how he gets paid back. Nice...really nice.:(

21. The General thread starter macrumors 601

There's a PayPal donation link on his blog. You act like my viewing the ads directly affects Jay Freeman's ability to pay the bills and eat. If that is the case, he needs to start selling the software, or find a new source of income.

22. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Thanks,

Last question, if you want to do this again with a different app...do you need to run the first line again and reinstall Idid?

23. The General thread starter macrumors 601

No, you just need to do the part with:

cd /Applications/programname.app/
    ldid -S programname

24. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Thanks for the help

25. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but Cycorder on 2.1 had mad lag for me before I removed the ads. I was getting ~2fps. Once I removed the ads it performed as it did in 2.0.2. 10 to 15fps.