how to disable app store asking for password when updating apps?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I thought in ios 6 it would stop asking for a password when simply just updating apps? is there a setting somewhere to activate it?

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
Easy. Type in your password when asked.

The answer is you can't. What if your phone gets stolen? You would be stuck with a bunch of charges.

minneola24

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
I don't see any reason to type in my password every time I go to download free apps. It's a hassle.

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I haven't had to put in my password when updating apps since I went to ios 6.

Last edited:

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010

The answer is you can't. What if your phone gets stolen? You would be stuck with a bunch of charges.
no, that isn't the point. i thought it was a feature of the new iOS. I'm just asking what happened

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Here's what I've found:

When you update your apps from the Updates tab in the App Store app, it doesn't prompt you for a password. If you try to update an app from any other section of the App Store app, it will ask you for a password.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia

Not having to enter your password to update or to download free apps was a rumored feature in iOS 6. I could have sworn it was officially advertised or at least confirmed by Apple itself, but I must be mistaken. Anyway, it wouldn't matter if someone could download free apps onto your stolen phone.

iViet

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007

Updating apps is free, that's why it doesn't ask for password in ios6

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
Why you want disable ? That's protect your pocket :D
If you unlucky , get stolen or something , they purchase the app for $999 ( have some app on AppStore ) and what will happen to you ??

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why you want disable ? That's protect your pocket :D
If you unlucky , get stolen or something , they purchase the app for $999 ( have some app on AppStore ) and what will happen to you ??
If my iPhone were to get stolen I would wipe it. I'd welcome the option to disable appleid passwords for any app purchase, both MAS and iOS.