How to disable Apps from sending data to the internet?

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hi all, i've got some sensitive work data on this machine i've been using at home. i'm currently looking for a new Word Processor that'll replace LibreOffice. i just wanted to know how i can disable it from accessing the internet and reporting information back.

thanks all!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Word processing apps don't send your data over the internet. They will access the web to check for software updates, or to access help files, or to download templates, fonts, etc. at your request. They do not transmit the contents of your documents anywhere.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think the app called Little Snitch can be configured to notify you if any app is talking on the network for any reason (like checking for updates, etc) and can be configured to block it.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
I think the app called Little Snitch can be configured to notify you if any app is talking on the network for any reason (like checking for updates, etc) and can be configured to block it.
My vote for little snitch.
With no rules enabled its amazing to see the endless procession of processes and applications that cannot wait to phone home.