How to Disable auto booting into MAC OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zentenk, Sep 2, 2010.

1. zentenk macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I got BootCamp setup with a Windows 7, however whenever I restart or turn on my MBP it automatically boots into Mac, and if I want to boot into windows i would have to hold on to the option/alt key at the start in order for me to choose which drive to boot from.

So my question is whether there is a way so that every time I turn on the MBP it would automatically show up the 2 OSes for me to choose from?

thanks!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

In System Preferences, you can choose the startup disk but you cant bring up the bootloader by default.

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

With the way that you set it up, I'm not entirely certain. I know that you can do it that way with a program called REFit, but I don't think you can use it after you already have windows set up through bootcamp. I mean, you can sure as hell try it, but I'm not sure that it will work. I'd look into it if I were you :cool:

4. zentenk thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick replies!

Just that whenever I want to restart and head into windows I miss that small time frame to hold on to the option key or forget and its annoying as hell :(

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You can do it the same way you are doing now, you just need to hold the shift button while selecting the disk after you press the option key. This sets the startup disk to the disk you select, and it will keep booting up with that disk until you change it.

6. zentenk thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tip, never knew that.

it may be viable another time but i'm primarily a Mac user but recently gotta do some VBA programming from time to time for a course

tried r e fit and doesnt seem to work

guess i'll just have to stick with holding the option key :(