How to Disable Autoplaying Videos in the YouTube App's Home Tab

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the next few weeks, YouTube is rolling out a new feature for its mobile app called "Autoplay on Home," which automatically plays videos that appear on your Home tab. As you scroll through your Home feed, videos will begin to play on mute with captions auto-enabled.

[​IMG]
    Google claims the previously Premium-only feature is a better way to experience new content on the go, and will help you "make more informed decisions about whether you want to watch a video," but not everyone is likely to agree, especially users who have a cellular data cap.

Fortunately, YouTube has provided some options to customize the app's new default behavior, which we'll mention shortly. But first, here's how you can turn off Autoplay on Home completely.

How to Disable Autoplay on Home in the YouTube App
    1. Launch the YouTube app on your iPhone.
    2. Tap your profile icon in the upper right of the screen.
    3. Tap Settings.
      [​IMG]

Tap Autoplay.
    4. Tap the Autoplay on Home toggle to turn it off.
    In some circumstances, Autoplay on Home may be enabled only when you're using either Wi-Fi or cellular data. If you want to adjust this behavior, follow the steps above to bring you to YouTube's Autoplay settings, and you'll find options to Use on Wi-Fi and cellular data and Use only when connected to Wi-Fi.

Article Link: How to Disable Autoplaying Videos in the YouTube App's Home Tab

2. wingmanmac macrumors member

wingmanmac

How does autoplay work when most video always start up with a comercial? Just wondering..

3. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

Awful “feature”. Off you go. Thanks.

4. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Why is every company doing this? Stop wasting my bandwidth on crap I don’t want to see

5. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Don't even have the app installed. I'd rather use Safari for a more secure and safe experience.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

That crazy thing is it wastes their bandwidth too. They must be swimming in it.

7. HQuest macrumors member

Premium feature? Next few weeks?

I’m a regular, non-paying YouTube user and I had to disable this annyoance about a month ago. Didn’t know I was beta testing for YouTube.

8. jst_testing macrumors member

For some reason, doesn't work for me even when turned on? I'm using an iPhone X with the latest app. Not that I want it on constantly, but curious how it works.

9. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

I'm not a frequent YT app user, but when I do, I find it very un-intuitive and difficult to maneuver.

When I go to a particular subscribed YT'er and see the list of videos, I play the first one, and if I press the "skip to next" button, it plays some completely unrelated video instead of the next one in the list of videos. Just navigating the screens is misery.

Certainly they could do better.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I want auto play like I want VD. Ruins a good experience and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

11. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

I followed these instructions but don’t see the auto-play option in settings.

12. Laptopdog78 macrumors newbie

I couldn’t turn this off at first when they tried it a few weeks ago. Now that I can it is staying off!! Absolutely awful feature!!

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Can we ban this man from making any more analogies? LOL.

14. CarlJ, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Same here - these types of articles are usually filled with screenshots detailing the whole procedure, while this article stops the screenshots after "tap Settings". I'm on Version 13.47.7, and don't see any "Autoplay" text anywhere on the Settings page. It's something bordering on suspicious that they don't have an screenshot of the offending setting.

15. Laptopdog78 macrumors newbie

I am on version 13.45.7 and don’t have any pending updates. The option is definitely, and obviously there for me to select on and off. I am in the uk. I don’t know if that makes any difference to the versions.

16. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Disabled that so quick , worst thing added since stories on YouTube . On twitter works perfect but google woat

17. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I don’t see the option in settings.
    I’m on the same version, also in UK, but don’t see this option in setting. I’m looking on my iPad, haven’t checked the iPhone.

But I echo the thoughts of everyone else against autoplaying video of all kinds. It is awful.