How to disable device removal warning

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rozner, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rozner macrumors member

Hi,

Is it possible to disable this warning message when a device, such as an external USB drive, flash drive, or my cell phone gets unplugged without clicking the eject button?

I've done some searching and found one thread on another forum with about 30 replies, most of which was people just arguing about why you want to disable this message but no real solution. So does anyone have a solution, and "clicking the eject button" or "unmount the drive first" is not a solution. You wonder why I want this disabled. Particularly it's my cell phone, I plug it into the mac to charge and I rarely transfer data to or from it. Even turning off the screen on the phone is like unplugging it, it will still charge but this warning pops up. I really doubt there is any risk and the the warning is annoying. Secondly, as someone else pointed out on the other forum, the warning is kind of useless since it's an after the fact thing. The device is already unplugged and whatever "potential" damage could have been done is already done. So why interrupt me with a modal dialog when I'm well aware that grabbing my phone when I want to make a call may damage internal storage on the drive that I never use... I don't care. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just trying to avoid similar responses to what I saw on the other board and maybe find an actual answer to the question.

Thanks

2. devburke Guest

Well I don't have a solution for you, but I believe the answer as to why they even bother with the after-the-fact message is so that people who don't know any better will know to eject first next time.

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can try a hardware hack on the USB cable to make it a 'power only' cable which will not pass data signals. Strip the plastic sleve carefully for an inch or two and clip the wires, leaving only the red and black wires intact [leave black and white untouched for Firewire cable, which also has a cable shield]. If you put the slevev back on, make sure you mark the cable somehow so you don't forget that it is no longer a normal power+data cable.

[This is based on the assumption Mac recognizes the data part of the cable unplugged to do the warning, which I haven't validated. It is a reaonsable assumption since the warning is for potential data corruption if the device was unplugged while data write is in progress.]