Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

childoflights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
My son is using his computer to watch dvd movies. We do not allow television or any video watching in his room without parental guidance. Is there any way to password protect his use of the dvd player in his computer or must I physically remove the hardware?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
The Parental Controls in Leopard are supposed to be rather robust. Under Leopard (10.5), the Parental Controls may allow application-specific restriction, I don't know. If so, you could just use Leopard's Parental Controls to deactivate the DVD player application.

If Leopard doesn't (or if you're not running Leopard), you could just create a non-admin account for your son to use and delete the DVD player application from the Mac. As a non-admin user, he couldn't install any applications, so he wouldn't be able to play a DVD.

Doing it this way, as opposed to removing or deactivating the drive somehow, would ensure that the DVD drive would still be useable as a means of reading data or backing up data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.