How to Disable Edge on Unlocked iPhone 2G on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Psant, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Psant macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I have never done this on T-Mobile and don't know if it works differently than in the AT&T process. My girlfriend is getting an unlocked 2G phone and wants to use it on T-Mobile, but doesn't really want the data plan. She's a little tech-challenged, so I think it's safer to disable Edge so she doesn't incur charges.

How would I do this? I know on AT&T, you can go to sites like iphonenodata.com and it installs a Fake APN, but how does this work on T-mobile? Is it the same?

Thanks, and sorry if you get this question a lot around here.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I don't think she will be able to get edge data anyway,

3. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I thought people on T-Mobile can get Edge data, but not 3G data because of the different 3G GSM signal.

4. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

5. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay, cool. I'm assuming the APN settings will be blank anyway, so I guess I don't really have to do anything.

I'd only have to put in T-Mobile APN settings if I want to ENABLE to the cellular data.

6. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

That is correct.

7. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

If you are not currently enrolled in a data plan with T-Mobile, it wont even work if you had the correct APN. When you click on a browser it will still ask you to accept an agreement to pay before you can access the web.