How to disable EDGE?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mreddys10, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have an unlocked iPhone 2.0 and wanted to know how to disable EDGE. I want to connect to the net only thru WiFi. Fido (provider) in Canada charges a lot for data transfer, and since they just released the iPhone here, EDGE is automatically enabled and most apps i open access the net. How do i stop it?

2. dosequis macrumors newbie

dosequis

Use Cydia to get Boss Prefs

There is an option to turn off EDGE within the app.

3. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

I have to do this thru the phone? any way i can do this thru the computer and itunes? also, can i download other apps from cydia to my iphone without having to use EDGE?

4. dosequis macrumors newbie

dosequis

Not that I am aware of... Anyone else?

5. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help anyway :)

6. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved....just called FIDO and told them to put a restriction on EDGE service for me

7. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Yup. That's what I exactly did with T-Mobile. I told them to disable my internet package.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

T-Mo here in the US doesn't even let you access data without a package.

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

I will not be advertising this feature to my customers. I'd rather sell them data.

10. mreddys10 thread starter macrumors regular

thats exactly wat they r doing here. U dont need a plan to get access to EDGE/GPRS. The moment ur phone uses it, u get charged. I found the rates and they are insane.
    5c/kb, 10c/email

even with an unlimited data plan, its only unlimited surfing, extra charges for email and downloads. Feels like i am back in 1990 or something. Imagine i pay $1 for a 1MB app on itunes, and my carrier charges me $5!!!!!

11. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if you can disable EDGE on a 3G iPhone so that your phone only connects to 3G when it's available, and no service if it isnt? I ask because 2.02 causes my phone to connect more often to EDGE and I know there's 3G service because I was always connected to it prior to 2.02?

12. mikecenizal macrumors member

hmmm. i always thought that simply enabling the data roaming off feature stopped the data from being used? is this true? i would like to know because i am giving my old iphone as a hand me down and the person i am giving it to does not have an unlimited data plan.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Disabling Edge in my area would be a nightmare!

BossPrefs is the Cydia program you're looking for.