All iPads How to disable email, safari and other apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petalino, May 23, 2014.

1. petalino macrumors regular

Hello.

I will be using my personal Ipad with latest IOS in my store to process Square Register.
    My employees will have full access to the Ipad, so I would like to restrict with a passcode or even disable certain Apps.

I would like to block access to my:

PHOTOS, VIDEOS
    WEB BROWSING,
    EMAIL,
    MESSAGING

and other items of personal nature.

Any idea how this could be achieved?

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You can't lock down everything. Email in particular is one of the items with no restrictions. The best you can do is use Guided Access to lock them into the register app.

Although the best solution is don't use a personal device at all. Get an iPad just for that use etc

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Using your personal iPad for business is not a good idea, I'd look to buy one that is specifically for the square trade transactions. Do you really want to an employee potentially accessing your personal information?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed with posters saying get an iPad specifically for this purpose. Get an used iPad 2, that should be enough for this purpose.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you are only using it for the POS system you could probably get away with a generation old as well. You don't have to spend money on the Air, or even have one that is in perfect condition.

6. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Getting a dedicated iPad is the easiest way to go as everyone above has mentioned, but it is not the only option. It is possible to lock an iPad to a single app using a configuration profile. Though the process is a bit involved.

You have to use the free Apple Configurator app to configure the iPad as a supervised device. Once done, you can use the same app to load profiles via a USB connection, or remotely using the Profile Manager Server built into OSX Server.

The company has 6 iPad minis with LTE that are available for check out use and we also use them as mobile info gathering kiosks at community events. With a couple clicks in Profile Manager, I can load apps, change settings like passcode requirements, auto lock timeout, pretty much anything you can set in settings on the iPad you can push in the profile. In addition, you can choose a single app to lock the iPad to, and there is virtually no way around it.

A nice side benefit is that the iPad can't be turned off while in this state, only rebooted by pressing and holding the sleep and home buttons. Kind of nice because, if someone steals the iPad, it can't be turned off to circumvent Find My iPad. It would be traceable until the thief could do a DFU restore or the battery dies.

7. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the answer and pointing out Apple Configurator..
    I will definitely look into this.

One of replies here, posted a link to an Apple Support page (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213?v...S&locale=en_US),
    which contains this:

You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile. To learn more about iOS software, see the user manual.

I am wondering if Apple is talking about same thing here (Apple Configurator).
    I searched, but could not find anything online, which would address Restrictions using a profile, as is mentioned in the Apple Support text which I am quoting.