How to disable iCloud backup when I put stuff in 'my documents' or desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by DK777, Oct 1, 2017.

1. DK777 macrumors newbie

DK777

Title says it, I don't want to automatically back things up to icloud when I put them in my documents. How do I turn that off?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

"How to disable iCloud backup when I put stuff in 'my documents' or desktop"
    Go to :apple:>System Preferences...>iCloud>iCloud Drive Options... button>uncheck Desktop & Documents Folders.

3. DK777 thread starter macrumors newbie

DK777

When I do that it warns me that Items will be removed from the desktop and documents and will be stored in iCloud. I want the opposite, I want to delete them from iCloud and store them on Desktop/Documents.

I just wanna make sure before I go forward, I dont want to lose everything on my desktop/documents. Ive never used iCloud before so not sure how it works. Just raises red flags when I read items will be removed from desktop and documents.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

This article has the information (I found this article using Google search for "how to recover document and desktop file from icloud macOS Sierra"):
    https://www.howtogeek.com/273629/ho...-after-disabling-icloud-sync-in-macos-sierra/