Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Well I ran into an issue on 10.11.4. Self - signed corporate Java app can't run due to the "Your security settings have blocked a slef-signed application from running" error.

I went to System Settings > Java > Security and Apple removed the slider which could allow self signed application certs from running. I do not have the public key for this application nor it is browser exceptions enabled (Stupid Oracle Financials Form), so I get the error.

How do I disable Java Security so I can run this app?

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Fixed it - apparently the very smart ppl at Oracle decided to block java with JRE 8.x and if you have automatic updates enabled - you are screwed, since in JRE 8.x java will never allow you to run self signed cert apps.

So I installed JRE 7.x, lowered security to 'medium' - ran the app and moved security to setting to 'very hard' again. Fun.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Since you appear to be a Java guy, are there any hints to get the most out of it? I have one app that relies on the double whammy of Java and OpenGL. With the old Mac Java (MRJ) it ran, including screencaps. Can't make a video capture with the new Java.

So I'm hoping for a bit of advice on squeezing the most out of Java's performance.

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Since you appear to be a Java guy, are there any hints to get the most out of it? I have one app that relies on the double whammy of Java and OpenGL. With the old Mac Java (MRJ) it ran, including screencaps. Can't make a video capture with the new Java.

So I'm hoping for a bit of advice on squeezing the most out of Java's performance.
Not sure what you're asking. I am Software Engineer, not a 'java guy', but to help you with performance or Java Virtual Machine tuning, more details are needed.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I didn't mean to insult. I apologize. It's just that I found someone with experience in Java.

I have one program that relies heavily on Java. On the older versions it worked with the old MRJ (Mac Runtime for Java) and there were little to no problems. Due to the death of Apple's implementation of Java, they has to switch to Oracle's actual Java release. So I'm wondering what I could do on my end to fine tune and get the best performance.

We're all pretty stymied on what to do to squeeze more more Java performance. It also gives the double whammy of OpenGL, which has an absurdly high overhead cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.