How to disable keyboard/mouse input locking when in Target Display Mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jediDev, Jun 7, 2013.

1. jediDev macrumors regular

So here's my scenario

* MBPr using 2012 21.5 iMac as a display via Thunderbolt Cable and Target Display Mode.
    * iMac display mirrored on a large external monitor via mini displayport

This is admittedly an unusual scenario but there are times when I need to use my MBPr for video editing but I need to monitor a live video feed on the iMac and sometimes use the keyboard to control that video feed.

The problem is that while I can get the video to show up properly, the iMac disables its keyboard and mouse when it's in target display mode (except for the command-f2 sequence for exiting target display mode). This makes sense in 99% of cases but for me, I'd like to be able to interact with the iMac.

So, does anybody know if there's a way to disable the normal behavior here? There are workarounds, like VNC and I suspect Synergy. But ideal would be just reenabling the iMac's keyboard when it's in target display mode but mirroring.

Thanks. And I guess if this is possible to do it means there's more than one person in the world with my use case. But I'm not optimistic...

2. chiarov macrumors newbie

Yes, I have a similar issue. I want to use my iMac 27" and a PC connected to it in target display mode, but I also want just one keyboard / mouse across both systems.

Have you figured out a solution to keep the Mac KB/mouse alive while in target display mode?