How to disable password on home wifi

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Samuel Gordon, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Samuel Gordon macrumors member

OS X prompts me for a password 5 minutes after sleep or screen saver begins. I find this security feature useful but isn't there a way how to disable this behaviour when I'm at home, i.e. connected to a certain wifi? Wouldn't it make sense? OS X locks itself when away from home but stays unlocked while in safe environment.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You can disable or change the settings for the password request in System Preferences:
    Security & Privacy
    However to automatically change it when switching from one Wi-Fi network to another you may need something else.
    Automator could help you to set up something but you have to program it.

Attached Files:

3. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

What if you set it to NEVER put display to sleep when computer is plugged in, that might work?

You could also do like the other guy said, and use automator.

4. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, sure, I know where to change it.

That's not what I'm looking for :( I often use the laptop on a battery at home and, vice versa, I often use the laptop plugged in in a situation where I would like to have the password protection activated. That's why it should be recognised by the wifi. I was looking for an app that would allow this but with no luck. Automator could be a solution though.

5. quickie14 macrumors newbie

If you have an iPhone, you may find this App useful for what you are describing.

Keycard

6. Popple macrumors newbie

Have you looked at Sidekick? I've never used it but have heard good things about it. Sounds like what you're looking for.

7. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Oh nice, I didn't know about this app before. It looks like it could do exactly what I need. It's just it's not that high-priority and $29 is too much... The app is obviously meant for someone who would use these geo-location features extensively. But thanks anyway, good tip. I might find it useful in the future.